Friday, March 09, 2001

As my free week draws to a close, I had a fun time yesterday on my touristy afternoon in San Francisco. Had lunch with Pam, Phuoc, and the working types (Seri, Wilma, and Vicky) at Gordon Biersch, a deli/sports bar kinda place a few blocks down from PAC BELL PARK! Yeah baby!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. Anyhow, after noshing down some garlic fries and giving Vicky apparently her first chance to observe up close my glacial eating speed, Phuoc (my former fellow unemployed comrade in arms... I'll miss you! Find a job soon!), Pam (to whose apartment I went over EVERY week senior year... small group Bible study co-coordinators... it's a wonder that I didn't become even crazier than I already am), Vicky (who was able to get the afternoon off because of her stellar work as a production editor at her web magazine!) and I hung out in San Francisco. Of course, I drove. When you're the one who made the longest commute to get someplace, of course you're gonna get tabbed as the one to do even more driving. Heheh.

After quite a long discussion on the longest word that can be typed entirely with the left hand (Pam dwelt on this one for a LONG time... I believe that her best guess was "exaggerated" - but I just did a search, and it turns out that it's actually "stewardesses"!), we went to the Coit Tower. Here Phuoc revealed a deep, dark part of his psyche when he began ranting about the statue of Columbus in front of the Tower, something about horrid treatment of the natives... then pointed out that ever PC Berkeley celebrates "Indigenous Peoples Day" instead of Columbus Day.

At Pier 39 I had a senior prom flashback when we walked by the restaurant that the group I went with ate at before boarding our boat. Boy, was that night... magical? Nah. Memorable? Not really. Uneventful? I guess you could say that. But it was fun dressing up in the tux and doing the Bond thing.

At a 7-11 near Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf we saw an advertisement for the brand-new Mountain Dew Slurpee, but I'm not allowed to write about it because Vicky claimed it.

Ended up at Seacliff... took some pics of the waves, then hung out in the old-style arcade with the old mechanized fortune tellers (think the movie "Big"), motorized mini-carnivals, and other really quaint, nifty coin-operated games... video games just don't have the same craftsmanship.

Heading off to the slopes tomorrow... gotta squeeze every last second out of this week! Yeah baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home