Odds and ends
As the long weekend wraps up, some thoughts...
- After several years of faithful service, my Nokia 8260 cell phone finally got replaced by a newer, sleeker model, the Samsung X427. It's my first time with a flip phone, and my first time being on a GSM plan (the $30 Cingular plan that is actually obsolete as of June 1). I've already noticed better reception almost everywhere I go, and I'm practicing being able to flip open the phone with one hand... and I have to admit, it does feel pretty good to snap the phone shut at the end of a call. On the other hand, I miss my old ringtone (Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" - they don't seem to have it on their main download site), and it's quite a pain having to re-enter all of the phone numbers I've collected over the years, so if you know me, feel free to give me a call (same number) so I can store your number again. Oh yeah, and to catch up. That's equally as important... yeah.
- My dad picked up a new toy for the house over the weekend - a Panasonic DVD Video Recorder. I haven't really learned how to use it yet, but the ability to record 100 hours of TV and fast-forward through stuff is actually quite cool. This is how I'll be watching the rest of the NBA playoffs.
- In one sense, I'm actually quite glad that both "24" and "Alias" wrapped up their seasons this past week, since I've been watching quite a lot of TV this year with those two shows along with the NBA. Next lines in invisible font to protect those who are going to watch them on DVD: Alias finally got interesting again in the last third of the season. Frankly, Jack and Sloane have become far more interesting characters than the purported stars of the show. The finale was kind of bleh, even though the cliffhanger car crash ending did make me jump just a little bit.
The first half of "24" was awesome. No more Kim to kill momentum, a clever plotline involving an internet broadcast of an execution and melting down nuclear reactors, and a genuinely interesting dynamic with the Araz terrorist family. The entire second half of the season fizzled quite a bit though, but I am excited about next season if they can manage to keep Jack away from CTU for a while - it was getting a bit old. Danny and I had the following amusing conversation based on the teaser for next season, "In Day 1, Jack Bauer saved the president. In Day 2, he saved a city. In Day 3, he saved a nation. In Day 4, he saved the world."
[11:54:46 AM] Bob: although, I'm not sure how Jack saved the world this season
[11:54:52 AM] Danny: yeah...
[11:54:59 AM] Danny: next season.. he's gonna save the universe
[11:55:05 AM] Danny: jack in space!
[11:55:21 AM] Bob: season 6 - Jack vs. Satan
[11:55:41 AM] Bob: with partners Tony Almeida and Jesus Christ backing him up
[11:56:29 AM] Danny: does he tie up satan to a chair? "who do you work for?!"
[11:57:27 AM] Bob: "We both know I can force the truth out of you, but I don't have time. I'm authorized to give you a full pardon from GOD HIMSELF. In return I need to know..."
[11:57:49 AM] Danny: "let me see it in writing, first."
[11:58:01 AM] Danny: jack dials his cell phone. god answers.
[11:58:40 AM] Danny: "god, satan is about to give us the information we need, but he wants to get back into heaven."
[11:58:48 AM] Danny: "jack, you know what you're asking me to do?"
[11:58:58 AM] Danny: "i understand, your holiness, but we don't have time."
- Some thoughts in response to the comments made by Andrew, Anthony, and Andrew (different one) on my "Sith" post below, in invisible font:
- I don't think Palpatine was "holding back" against Mace in order to lure Anakin to helping him. Even before Anakin got there, Mace had disarmed him and had him at his mercy. The films appear to show that the only Jedi on par, power-wise, with Palpatine are Mace and Yoda - no one else can hold his own.
- Lightsabers can block Force lightning (see Obi-Wan vs. Dooku in Ep 2).
- The description of the lightsaber forms came from the magazine "Star Wars Insider", which is published by Lucasfilm, so the author's writing can be considered "canon" until he's overruled by something Lucas does.
- An interesting bit of dialogue in the movie that I forgot to highlight in my recap: Palpatine's description of Darth Plagueis to Anakin as someone who could essentially manipulate midi-chlorians to create life and prolong life has two interesting implications. One, which Andrew W brought to my attention, was that perhaps Palpatine intentionally caused the midi-chlorians to create Anakin ("There was no father... He was created by the midi-chlorians" - Ep 1) as his future apprentice. Two, part of the extended universe lore is that Palpatine has actually been around for many generations, and has actually perpetuated his consciousness by using the Dark side of the Force to transfer his consciousness into other bodies - first the bodies of others, later the bodies of clones of himself.
- In response to Danny's post dedicated to me, here are a few more funny geek phrases courtesy of thinkgeek.com T-shirts - just try to imagine wearing some of these:
Insufficient memory
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
When your friend asks you, "What's it say?" You can truthfully say, "You are dumb"... in binary
SQL query: SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0. Uh oh, zero rows were returned! Oh no!?!?
$> man woman $> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Black Holes Suck
As the long weekend wraps up, some thoughts...
- After several years of faithful service, my Nokia 8260 cell phone finally got replaced by a newer, sleeker model, the Samsung X427. It's my first time with a flip phone, and my first time being on a GSM plan (the $30 Cingular plan that is actually obsolete as of June 1). I've already noticed better reception almost everywhere I go, and I'm practicing being able to flip open the phone with one hand... and I have to admit, it does feel pretty good to snap the phone shut at the end of a call. On the other hand, I miss my old ringtone (Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" - they don't seem to have it on their main download site), and it's quite a pain having to re-enter all of the phone numbers I've collected over the years, so if you know me, feel free to give me a call (same number) so I can store your number again. Oh yeah, and to catch up. That's equally as important... yeah.
- My dad picked up a new toy for the house over the weekend - a Panasonic DVD Video Recorder. I haven't really learned how to use it yet, but the ability to record 100 hours of TV and fast-forward through stuff is actually quite cool. This is how I'll be watching the rest of the NBA playoffs.
- In one sense, I'm actually quite glad that both "24" and "Alias" wrapped up their seasons this past week, since I've been watching quite a lot of TV this year with those two shows along with the NBA. Next lines in invisible font to protect those who are going to watch them on DVD: Alias finally got interesting again in the last third of the season. Frankly, Jack and Sloane have become far more interesting characters than the purported stars of the show. The finale was kind of bleh, even though the cliffhanger car crash ending did make me jump just a little bit.
The first half of "24" was awesome. No more Kim to kill momentum, a clever plotline involving an internet broadcast of an execution and melting down nuclear reactors, and a genuinely interesting dynamic with the Araz terrorist family. The entire second half of the season fizzled quite a bit though, but I am excited about next season if they can manage to keep Jack away from CTU for a while - it was getting a bit old. Danny and I had the following amusing conversation based on the teaser for next season, "In Day 1, Jack Bauer saved the president. In Day 2, he saved a city. In Day 3, he saved a nation. In Day 4, he saved the world."
[11:54:46 AM] Bob: although, I'm not sure how Jack saved the world this season
[11:54:52 AM] Danny: yeah...
[11:54:59 AM] Danny: next season.. he's gonna save the universe
[11:55:05 AM] Danny: jack in space!
[11:55:21 AM] Bob: season 6 - Jack vs. Satan
[11:55:41 AM] Bob: with partners Tony Almeida and Jesus Christ backing him up
[11:56:29 AM] Danny: does he tie up satan to a chair? "who do you work for?!"
[11:57:27 AM] Bob: "We both know I can force the truth out of you, but I don't have time. I'm authorized to give you a full pardon from GOD HIMSELF. In return I need to know..."
[11:57:49 AM] Danny: "let me see it in writing, first."
[11:58:01 AM] Danny: jack dials his cell phone. god answers.
[11:58:40 AM] Danny: "god, satan is about to give us the information we need, but he wants to get back into heaven."
[11:58:48 AM] Danny: "jack, you know what you're asking me to do?"
[11:58:58 AM] Danny: "i understand, your holiness, but we don't have time."
- Some thoughts in response to the comments made by Andrew, Anthony, and Andrew (different one) on my "Sith" post below, in invisible font:
- I don't think Palpatine was "holding back" against Mace in order to lure Anakin to helping him. Even before Anakin got there, Mace had disarmed him and had him at his mercy. The films appear to show that the only Jedi on par, power-wise, with Palpatine are Mace and Yoda - no one else can hold his own.
- Lightsabers can block Force lightning (see Obi-Wan vs. Dooku in Ep 2).
- The description of the lightsaber forms came from the magazine "Star Wars Insider", which is published by Lucasfilm, so the author's writing can be considered "canon" until he's overruled by something Lucas does.
- An interesting bit of dialogue in the movie that I forgot to highlight in my recap: Palpatine's description of Darth Plagueis to Anakin as someone who could essentially manipulate midi-chlorians to create life and prolong life has two interesting implications. One, which Andrew W brought to my attention, was that perhaps Palpatine intentionally caused the midi-chlorians to create Anakin ("There was no father... He was created by the midi-chlorians" - Ep 1) as his future apprentice. Two, part of the extended universe lore is that Palpatine has actually been around for many generations, and has actually perpetuated his consciousness by using the Dark side of the Force to transfer his consciousness into other bodies - first the bodies of others, later the bodies of clones of himself.
- In response to Danny's post dedicated to me, here are a few more funny geek phrases courtesy of thinkgeek.com T-shirts - just try to imagine wearing some of these:
Insufficient memory
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
When your friend asks you, "What's it say?" You can truthfully say, "You are dumb"... in binary
SQL query: SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0. Uh oh, zero rows were returned! Oh no!?!?
$> man woman $> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Black Holes Suck

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home