Tuesday, August 09, 2005

What do I say?

In the last 2.5 days, scores of folks have come up to me asking, "How was the trip?", with the expectation of a one-word answer.

I'm thinking, How do I sum up a week's worth of eye-opening experiences, spiritual lessons, observations, and stories into a single verbalization? I know that a simple "good/great/fine" will probably just elicit a smile and a change of topic, while anything longer than one word might be more than what the questioner was bargaining for. While good friends and folks interested in missions will likely ask more detailed follow-up questions anyway, what I'd really like to do is be able to tell stories of God's work in Mexico and in me to folks who thought they were just exchanging pleasantries - believers who aren't as missions-minded, coworkers, relatives, and the like.

So, I've settled on the one-word answer, "Meaningful." The interested people will still be interested, the indifferent will still be indifferent, but the ones on the cusp just might be intrigued enough by that answer to ask why. It seems to have worked decently well so far.

And yes, I actually analyze things like this.

I think that in my post-trip processing, I'll have three, possibly four separate write-ups with different themes:
Theme 1: lessons/stories/observations/experiences from the field
Theme 2: lessons from the camp (this year's speaker was very good, similar to most WCC plenary speakers)
Theme 3: reflections on personal life impact, and random/amusing stories and encounters within the team and with other folks

Keep an eye out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home