Friday, June 28, 2002

God's doing so many different things in this world.

He's working through Wycliffe to translate the Bible into the language of remote people groups like the Wounaan tribe of Panama... establishing churches in China despite intense persecution... feeding and caring for AIDS orphans suffering in Africa through organizations like World Vision... rehabbing and transforming the lives of drug addicts in Harlem... even changing the hearts of suburban Taiwanese kids to give them a desire to wait on Him.

And that's just a little, teeny tiny slice of God's enormously magnificent plan.

Where do I fit in?

That's the question I've been wrestling with over the last couple of weeks, particularly at the Canaan retreat a couple of Saturdays back, where I wanted to spend time with the youth as they were learning about spiritual disciplines and experiencing God firsthand, but also was curious to hear firsthand the experiences of a missionary couple from Wycliffe who had lived a good portion of their life living with a tribal people. On top of that, after my experience in NYC, I made the commitment that at some point I would continue working with and spending time with the (monetarily) poor on a regular basis - don't know exactly how (food bank, tutoring programs (high school? computers?)) or where (East Palo Alto? SF? San Jose?). On top of that, I've been coming across people - family members, friends - that I'd like to spend more time with. On top of that, God's continuing to challenge me as a worship leader at Canaan, looking after the spiritual well-being of my team, and also helping to organize a men's group. Then after that I'm thinking of grad school and taking the GRE, and spending time with parents is something I'm considering more of a priority.

Sometimes it feels overwhelming to me... particularly over the last few weeks, I've been realizing and understanding more and more how precious each breath that I take is, and that each moment I have here is a gift of grace... and because of that I feel like I want to make the most of my time, immerse myself into God's plan for the world as much as possible, and allow the Holy Spirit to influence people through me. I've noticed in Scripture that all the disciples/prophets etc. had particular target groups of people that God wanted them to be with... and I don't think God's revealed that to me yet.

Something encouraging from this matter... I've found that in times of decision-making and wrestling over direction in my life, God has often directed me not by opening doors, but by challenging me to try every door that there is, and then shutting the ones that he doesn't want me to go through. To pursue every opportunity sincerely and prayerfully, and He'd let me know whether to continue or not. On the one hand this is probably a good thing for me because it means I don't have an excuse to sit on my butt and wait, on the other hand it means that right now I have a lot of commitments - ministry-wise and people-wise... each of which I enjoy, love and am challenged by, but it does it make it hard sometimes.

Just gonna keep prayin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home