24 things I'm thankful for (not really in any order):
24) 8766 mornings to wake up to... even if I didn't wake up to all of them. Afternoons are good too. In case you were wondering, the extra 6 mornings account for leap years :-).
23) The intensity of good, clean athletic competition.
22) Teva sandals. I've had my pair for two years and they're still rock-solid.
21) My car. Sure, the Volvo wagon may make me look old, but everyone who I've helped move knows how useful it is... true story... I show up at work for my 2nd or 3rd day in March 2001, some of my coworkers are at the door and see me drive in... as I walk to the front door, one says, "Is that your wife's car?"
20) Ultimately frivolous, but very entertaining novels by guys like Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Stephen Coonts, and the Star Wars series (Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston in particular).
19) The backboard behind the basketball hoop that lets me bank in 15-foot jump shots.
18) The combination of broiled fish (particularly salmon, mackerel, or bass) and rice. One of my favorite tastes.
17) The open working environment at my office - in my section of engineering, everyone basically has two desks to themselves - no cubicle walls. As a result you spend your days in close proximity to the people you work with, which in my mind makes for more effective work, as well as the chance to talk about significant things with other people. Today I chatted with my coworker about how to discipline his kids (he has a 6-year old and a 3-year old).
16) Email and instant messaging. They've helped me keep in touch with people I otherwise would have completely forgotten about after high school and after college.
15) The World Wide Web. Information - ranging from sports scores and opinions, to current events, to bulletin boards with differing opinions and conversations, to archives of books, and so on so forth - has never been so convenient and at our fingertips than now. How did we ever live without broadband?
14) Young and old people. In college I basically interacted with peers all the time, now that I'm back at home I get to spend time with both groups, particularly at church through the youth group. They're really cool. As for the latter group, I don't know too many really old people, but recently each day I've been driving to work I see an old Indian couple waiting for the bus on the side of the road that for some reason brings a smile to my face.
13) Listening to music. A quote I heard a long time ago: "Aside from silence, music is the only way to express the inexpressible."
12) The waterfalls, hiking trails, biking trails, creeks, rivers, trees, rock formations that make up the Yosemite Valley. Still one of my favorite places on Earth.
11) Smoothies.
10) Journals. Didn't really know what I was doing when I started writing in that little notebook 6 years ago, but boy am I glad I started up that habit.
9) Corporate worship through song. Still one of the best ways to inspire my soul to be happy in God.
8) Wrestling over tough passages of Scripture with fellow believers who come from different backgrounds and have different understandings.
7) Asian American Christian Fellowship at Cal, specifically, the class of 2000. Without getting my first taste of fellowship, I may have not followed through on the commitment I made to God before going to college.
6) Rich Mullins reminding us to weep with longing for our real home, not the one of this world; and to remember that when I leave this world, "When I look back on the stars, they'll be like a candlelight in Central Park - and it won't break my heart to say goodbye."
5) Friends who somehow always pop up to encourage me when I need it the most, and friends who aren't afraid to wound me when I need it.
4) New York City. My summer there in 2000 has impacted me profoundly. Read my previous blog (scroll down) for a bit more insight, but suffice to say that I now know a little bit about what it means not to look at someone with worldly eyes.
3) The simple joy of having: a room, a Bible, a pen and journal, a songbook, a guitar, and a voice, all at the same time.
2) Parents, Frank and Elisa, who have genuinely modeled sacrificial love and guidance to me, and a brother who I've been able to watch grow up bit by bit.
And finally,
1) Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see.
24) 8766 mornings to wake up to... even if I didn't wake up to all of them. Afternoons are good too. In case you were wondering, the extra 6 mornings account for leap years :-).
23) The intensity of good, clean athletic competition.
22) Teva sandals. I've had my pair for two years and they're still rock-solid.
21) My car. Sure, the Volvo wagon may make me look old, but everyone who I've helped move knows how useful it is... true story... I show up at work for my 2nd or 3rd day in March 2001, some of my coworkers are at the door and see me drive in... as I walk to the front door, one says, "Is that your wife's car?"
20) Ultimately frivolous, but very entertaining novels by guys like Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Stephen Coonts, and the Star Wars series (Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston in particular).
19) The backboard behind the basketball hoop that lets me bank in 15-foot jump shots.
18) The combination of broiled fish (particularly salmon, mackerel, or bass) and rice. One of my favorite tastes.
17) The open working environment at my office - in my section of engineering, everyone basically has two desks to themselves - no cubicle walls. As a result you spend your days in close proximity to the people you work with, which in my mind makes for more effective work, as well as the chance to talk about significant things with other people. Today I chatted with my coworker about how to discipline his kids (he has a 6-year old and a 3-year old).
16) Email and instant messaging. They've helped me keep in touch with people I otherwise would have completely forgotten about after high school and after college.
15) The World Wide Web. Information - ranging from sports scores and opinions, to current events, to bulletin boards with differing opinions and conversations, to archives of books, and so on so forth - has never been so convenient and at our fingertips than now. How did we ever live without broadband?
14) Young and old people. In college I basically interacted with peers all the time, now that I'm back at home I get to spend time with both groups, particularly at church through the youth group. They're really cool. As for the latter group, I don't know too many really old people, but recently each day I've been driving to work I see an old Indian couple waiting for the bus on the side of the road that for some reason brings a smile to my face.
13) Listening to music. A quote I heard a long time ago: "Aside from silence, music is the only way to express the inexpressible."
12) The waterfalls, hiking trails, biking trails, creeks, rivers, trees, rock formations that make up the Yosemite Valley. Still one of my favorite places on Earth.
11) Smoothies.
10) Journals. Didn't really know what I was doing when I started writing in that little notebook 6 years ago, but boy am I glad I started up that habit.
9) Corporate worship through song. Still one of the best ways to inspire my soul to be happy in God.
8) Wrestling over tough passages of Scripture with fellow believers who come from different backgrounds and have different understandings.
7) Asian American Christian Fellowship at Cal, specifically, the class of 2000. Without getting my first taste of fellowship, I may have not followed through on the commitment I made to God before going to college.
6) Rich Mullins reminding us to weep with longing for our real home, not the one of this world; and to remember that when I leave this world, "When I look back on the stars, they'll be like a candlelight in Central Park - and it won't break my heart to say goodbye."
5) Friends who somehow always pop up to encourage me when I need it the most, and friends who aren't afraid to wound me when I need it.
4) New York City. My summer there in 2000 has impacted me profoundly. Read my previous blog (scroll down) for a bit more insight, but suffice to say that I now know a little bit about what it means not to look at someone with worldly eyes.
3) The simple joy of having: a room, a Bible, a pen and journal, a songbook, a guitar, and a voice, all at the same time.
2) Parents, Frank and Elisa, who have genuinely modeled sacrificial love and guidance to me, and a brother who I've been able to watch grow up bit by bit.
And finally,
1) Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home