Friday, May 17, 2002

Wednesday night: STAR WARS, EPISODE 2: ATTACK OF THE CLONES

Aw YEAH!

Showed up at 9 pm for the 12:01 am first showing of AOTC. BTW, wanna give a shout out to John T and Lawrence for hooking us up with the tix, and to Lawrence for showing at 3 pm (!) to wait in line for our awesome seats. The crowd that was waiting wasn't nearly as rowdy as it was for Episode 1, but I suppose we only had to wait 3 years for this one rather than 16 years for the other one. Still a fair number of lightsabers flashing around, and apparently one group brought their own sofa to wait in line with. The crowd was rowdy and fun... cheering at most of the previews (went nuts for Matrix 2, but booed "Like Mike" - a kiddie sports thing where a little kid joins the NBA and gains Jordan skills), then cheering for the Lucasfilm logo and when STAR WARS hits the screen and John Williams' score begins.

Some general thoughts, w/o spoilers... if I can figure out how to change the color of text on my webpage so you have to highlight it to read it (a la theForce.net) I'll put in some thoughts about the plot itself.

- from the previews, I was afraid that Anakin was going to be a typical Dawson's Creek-type teenage, whiny brat. While he does show this trait at times, I was pleasantly surprised with the portrayal of a conflicted, gifted man, and it was a real treat to begin to see the tendencies and beliefs of Vader begin to come through.

- the love story between Anakin and Padme is incredibly cheesy, but relative to the unending and unfunny buffoonery of Jar Jar Binks and little boy Anakin in Episode 1, it was much easier to stomach. Plus, with the rowdy crowd, it made the cheesy love scenes rather amusing.

- action scenes blow Spider-Man away. While both blockbusters had cheesy love stories going, AOTC hands-down has put the "Wars" back in "Star Wars". The last 40 minutes of the movie is one long battle scene that got my whole theater riled up and cheering... it's probably worth the price of admission alone, if you enjoy action.

- overall I was impressed with the movie... as a (former) diehard fan, I went in with some lowered expectations, but the movie exceeded them.

If I can figure out how to type in white I'll offer some plot-specific thoughts later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home