Friday, November 28, 2003

This is my physical prime?

In pro sports, athletes are considered to be in their prime generally in the years between 25 and 32, with some variation for the different sports. Basketball and football players are in their prime from 25-30, with baseball a bit later on (27-32). This is supposed to mark the athlete's prime years of productivity from both a skill and experience standpoint, as well as still having a high level of physical ability to accomplish those skills.

I'm 25, so I'm supposed to be in my physical prime. I'm supposed to be more experienced at the sports I play, yet still have the athleticism to run all day without getting tired, jump higher than other people, and heal overnight to get right back out there to take on the next challenger.

So why the heck am I sore all over the day after Turkey Bowl? An inventory:
- sore neck (coupla hard falls)
- sore left shoulder (inadvertent tackle during flag football)
- sore quads (didn't stretch enough)
- blister on big toe (borrowed cleats)

I'm guessing it's because I'm not in shape... or, I'm not very tough. I'm not that old yet. But I do feel like I need a long soak in a jacuzzi...

Turkey Bowl itself was fun... I dropped two easy TD passes and slipped on another play with open field in front of me, so I was kind of annoyed at my own performance. Nothing particularly memorable this year, however.

Personal recap

Week in review...

- After the 3 am odyssey last Friday night/Sat morning, woke up on Saturday at noon, went to lunch with my bro at Tony Roma's where we chowed on ribs and caught up with each other, all the while expressing dismay at the way Cal was horridly playing in the first half of the Big Game. Fortunately they came back in the 2nd half. Things look good for the program moving forward.

- Celebrated Byron's birthday with a viewing of the extended edition of the Two Towers and sent off Joseph with a bash replete with obscure memories, food, and laughter. Good times.

- Practiced and played with the youth praise band both Sat and Sun, as the youth group did a great job serving in this past week's Thanksgiving Sunday Service. I got many comments from congregation members who enjoyed their enthusiasm in serving God and who expressed surprise at the youth's maturity. I had the chance to play piano, tambourine, and drums. I've always admired those multi-instrumentalists in bands who can switch effortlessly from guitar to percussion to keyboard to backup vocals, as well as more obscure instruments like the mandolin and hammered dulcimer.

- Monday and Tuesday were relatively easy days at the office, filled with cleaning, tying up loose ends, filling out reports, and a fair amount of ping-pong. Tuesday, we went to lunch at an Indian buffet that was playing Bollywood music videos, which were enthralling to the American-born contingent of my company. There's actually kind of a Broadway feel, with lots of extras and choreography to the dancing... like N'Sync in its heyday, multiplied by 40.

- Wednesday, spent some time in a personal retreat, reading Scripture and journal entries from the past year... will gather my thoughts and post some when I have the time.

- Got to hold my baby cousin for the first time last night at Thanksgiving dinner. She's 7 months old now and very cute. It was amusing to see both my parents cooing and playing with her... I figure that with her around, the pressure for grandkids will be off me for a few years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home