Friday, April 15, 2005

"OH. YOU. LOOK. SO. BEAUTIFUL. TONIGHT"

As one of my favorite music reviewers likes to say, "There's something about the grandiose nature of The Edge's jangly, chiming guitar as an atmospheric song gradually changes into a full-gallop rocker that just makes you feel happy to be alive." I think that's the best way to describe seeing U2 live. Last Saturday (I know, I know, late recap... what can I say? It's been busy) was my first opportunity to see these gentlemen rock the HP Pavilion. It's hard to believe that they've been making music together as a band about as long as I've been alive. Cal managed to hook us up with tickets, so I went with him, Gina, and Mike P. Since this guy from the Mercury does a pretty good job summarizing the setlist and technical aspects of the show, I'll just comment a little on things that were memorable for me (unfortunately no pics, cameras weren't allowed :-()...

- Over the course of their quarter-century long career, there's been a fair amount of controversy over the spirituality of U2, and particularly the faith journey of Bono, the frontman, the very definition of a "rock star" if there is one. Having roots in the Catholic Church in Ireland, they have songs taken almost verbatim from Scripture ("40"), songs during an apparent doubting period (the "Pop" album in particular), and many in between affirming the nature of God and man's role in standing up for justice and love because we are all "created equal under the eyes of God." Whatever the personal state of the individual members' spirituality, at this show it was evident that their passion for social justice and peace was not contrived - the quartet of "Love and Peace or Else", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Bullet the Blue Sky", and "Running to Stand Still" made a powerful statement against war, and "Pride", "Where the Streets Have No Name", and "One" brought attention to the band's humanitarian work in Africa. I couldn't help but admire the band's responsibility in utilizing the platform they've built and been given, to champion important causes that they are passionate about.

- Loved the stage setup - there was a curtain of lights hanging from the ceiling used to display pictures, light patterns, and even digitized images of the band. The stage had a circular walkway that allowed the band to walk out into the middle of the crowd, and in one song ("Mysterious Ways"), Bono even pulled a young woman out of the crowd to dance around the walkway. Apparently, this same girl was also picked out of the crowd at the U2 concert in 2001.

- Musically, as the review says, these guys make excellence seem the norm. Although the sound mix on the Edge's guitar wasn't nearly clear enough for my liking, he's still probably the best effects guitarist around. Bono sounds great for a 44 year old... he was hitting a lot of falsetto notes flawlessly. For that matter, I'm amazed that these guys still have the energy level that they do, at an age when most men are beginning to wind down physically. The song selection was great - didn't get to hear a few classics, but there was a good mix of new and old, and more rockers than not. Highlights for me were: City of Blinding Lights, New Year's Day, Love and Peace or Else -> Sunday Bloody Sunday (loved the drums!), and the aforementioned trio of Pride -> Where the Streets -> One.

- The folks sitting in front of us "enhanced" their concert experience with something smoked through a glass pipe. Mike and Cal thought it was weed, but I didn't think so - the smell wasn't sweet enough. Why do I know this? Well, Berkeley and a summer in some of the less savory parts of NYC educate you on some things...

- Click here for the Sports Guy's take on the show in LA... has some amusing stuff in there.

All in all, great experience, even worth the hefty price of the ticket. I'm a relatively new fan (albums owned: The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Pop (newly purchased used copy), All That You Can't Leave Behind, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and The Best of 1980-1990), but I'm starting to understand why these guys have been so influential in popular music over the last few decades, to the point of being considered by many to be the second greatest band of all time after the Beatles. If you get the chance to see them in Oakland this November, you should go!

Blast from the past

Also last weekend, I had the chance to catch up with a bunch of folks from Cal AACF class 2000, hosted by Pam and Andy. The idea of the reunion was planted since someone made the observation that the only time we see each other now is at weddings, so we decided to change things up a bit. Got to get back up to speed with plenty of folks, including Cal, Mike and Ivana, Wilma, Phuoc, my old roomie, Marian, Ken, Cynthia, and Josh (who came with wife and baby in tow). As we swapped stories of work, school, house buying, ministry, and everything else, it was kind of neat to see how this community has grown and matured since the college days. In a lot of ways I owe this group big time, since as a new Christian my freshman year at Cal, they helped to provide me with an environment where I could seek and serve God and others in the midst of community. 'Twas great fun, particularly with Pam affecting shock at the ways Cal and I had changed ("Cal, you're cooking? Bob, you don't drive a Volvo now? I don't know you guys anymore!").

Tivo is cool. At the reunion, Andy finally let me see the slam dunk contest from All-star weekend a few months ago. Love that header dunk. The behind-the-back left-to-right pass to himself by JR Smith was also pretty sweet.

After seeking optometrist Andy's advice, apparently I should get glasses frames that are wider-set across my face, but narrow, and perhaps go for a more squared-off shape to the lenses.

1 Comments:

Blogger evakc said...

AWW! I miss Cal AACF Class of 2000! Come visit me! :)

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home