Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Events of the weekend

In roughly chronological order...

- Nurse Eva and Dr. Eric got married. With a doctor and a nurse practitioner in the house, their kids will undoubtedly be the first ones on the block to learn CPR.
- served as an usher at the wedding. I've probably ushered at least 6 times. My friends joke that I should make a business card for professional wedding services. "Did you enjoy the way I escorted you to your seat? Here, take my card..." Thus far, I have served as an usher, worship leader, special music vocalist, candlelighter, gift mover, stagehand, sound tech assistant, and reception slideshow narrator.
- got to see and catch up with a bunch of old college friends at my table during the reception, like Tomio and Alice, Andy and Pam, Cal, Ivana, Abe, and Phuoc. We dinged plates regularly, reacted indignantly when one Georgian toaster unwisely dissed all Californians by mimicking the Atlanta Braves' tomahawk chop, contemplated the wonder of being able to get a wine glass to emit a high-pitched annoying whiny noise by wetting your finger and rubbing the rim, and attempted (to no avail) to get people to try "chubby bunny" with the coconut-marshmallow thingy desserts that Ming's served and that we didn't want to eat.
- apparently my parents made quite the impression on my friends with their performance on the dance floor. They're actually members of a relatively large and well-organized Silicon Valley folk dancing group that has not only learned and performed cultural dances like European waltzes and such, but they've also done some American cultural dances by learning some teenybopper pop dance routines (think Britney). This is definitely not a gene that I've inherited.
- the Spurs lost Duncan to an ankle injury over the weekend. Hopefully he'll be able to make it back by the playoffs. I am eagerly looking forward to this year's run to the championship, since there are a bunch of new teams and new styles of play. Now that March Madness is almost over, we'll finally hit that wonderful stage of the year where there's an NBA game or two on every night.
- at the gym on Sunday, had the opportunity to discuss and implement some strategy on offense based on my team's personnel. Knowing that my team's tallest players (Jeff and myself) have perimeter ability, after getting creamed in our first game, we designed a backwards offense where the two of us would set up at the high post and top of the key respectively, drawing out our defenders (typically the two tallest guys on the opposing team) away from the basket. This opened the lane up for our other three players to post up and use their strength to grab offensive rebounds and make short-range jumpers. Worked like a charm. Seeing good strategies work is always gratifying.
- bought a new Bible last week that I'm pretty excited about. I've found that over the past few years in my personal devotional times and during Bible studies, I haven't really made much use of the various notes you typically find in study Bibles. Plus, I noticed that every time I took notes in my journal, I would rarely read them again, so particular insights shared by other Bible study members or during sermons would be lost from my memory. So, with this wide-margin Bible, I can take my own notes - ideas that I want to remember, context that adds new meaning, and analogies that I wouldn't think of on my own.
- started playing a new - well, an old, but new to us - hack-and-slash RPG game called "Champions of Norrath" with Andy Y, Byron, and Mike L on Sunday. You don't have to make a great 4-player simultaneous game for it to be fun, but this one has been pretty good so far. I think there's something in every geeky guy growing up wanting to learn new spells and gain new weapons, go on quests, and beat down hordes of ugly bad guys like orcs and undead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home