Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Weekend thoughts

I can't fathom spending thousands of dollars a year to be a member of a country club (I've heard it's something like $20k!), particularly since this fee doesn't actually seem to get you the services of the club for free (golf greens fees, food, etc.) but instead gives you the right to pay for those things. That being said, however, our company closing party Friday night at the Los Altos club was pretty posh. I always feel odd about taking appetizers from waiters and waitresses walking around with trays of the things. What if I want to take more than one piece of bruschetta? Why can't I be given that freedom instead of having to endure their icy glare?

On the plus side, the prime rib was tender and tasty, and the wine was free... though I didn't have that much. Can't hold my liquor.

I really enjoy flea markets. I don't buy much, but when I do, I prefer finding things that are used, in okay condition, and cheap. I think this appeals to my Asian bargain-hunting mentality as well as my penchant for not seeing things get wasted. I picked up 4 CDs (Dulcinea from Toad the Wet Sprocket, Pop from U2, No Angel from Dido, Automatic for the People from REM), 3 books (Sahara by Clive Cussler - coming soon to a movie theater near you, a Star Wars novel, and a Linux reference book), and a new wallet for about $30. The weather was perfect - 65 degrees and sunny, and the crowds turned out as a result since 2005 has been rather rainy for NorCal thus far. The flea market might just be the most diverse place you can find in Cupertino.

Celebrated March birthdays for Maria and Karen in the evening, then played some hoops and had dinner with a few folks at Ryowa on Sunday. Ryowa is a ramen place that I hadn't been to before, so on Andy Y's recommendation I gave the "buttercorn" ramen a try. I thought at first that it was some kind of special vegetable, like a butternut squash. In fact, it's basically a ramen bowl with a smattering of corn kernels and a slab of butter melting in it. Mmm...

Quote of the weekend, from Dr. Chiow's sermon: "People once asked theologian RC Sproul, 'Why do bad things happen to good people?' He responded, 'I don't know, I've never met a good person.'"

Upcoming post topics that have been simmering in the back of my mind: more WCC notes, thoughts, and reflections, job and grad school stuff, the impressive way Google has impacted consumer tech, and trying to prepare for my late twenties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home