Arrival of the Baron and Tahoe recap
Still got lots to write about processing lessons from WCC (plus I need to summarize it to get a subsidy from my church :-))... but gonna weigh in on a few other topics first.
The acquisition of Baron Davis has re-energized the Warriors fan base. I hang out at a Warriors message board (see the link to the right) and in the last few days, the number of threads has exploded - people are actually excited about the franchise for the first time in a while. Even though I'm not a huge Baron fan, as a Warrior fan I'm willing to give him my support and hope that the team can be built up into a group that's at least exciting to watch, eventually making the playoffs. Huge amount of movement on trade deadline day... I'm enthused by the Nazr pickup by the Spurs, I think he'll do a good job giving the second unit some interior presence when Duncan needs to take a rest. This NBA season has just been a lot of fun to follow, with new stars emerging, the return of quality offenses, and a wide-open path to the title for any team willing to step up and go.
Got back from Tahoe today after a gorgeous weekend on the slopes. Aside from Karen's unfortunate accident, most everyone had a good time - the weather was fortuitously timed to give us a fresh layer of new powder but wasn't heavy enough to require chains either on the way up or down. I skied for the frist time in several years and did better than I expected, even remembering the lessons someone gave me about using the poles to get yourself into a rhythm during the turns (planting to act as a "fulcrum" and dragging to enhance balance). 'Course, since Heavenly barely had any green runs at all, I needed to remember as quickly as possible. My favorite runs are probably the long blues where you just follow a path all the way down the mountain, since you can stop at any time to admire the view of the Lake, or watch expert boarders doing tricks off jumps.
Random list of memories and quotes:
- conversations in the car with George and my coworkers Eli and Garfield on topics ranging from comics to movies to cameras to internet geek stuff to the national welfare system to the purpose of laws to home buying to societal observations on marriage. Oh, and throw in a dose of empathy for JT for enduring Joy, Andrea, and Karen on both legs of the trip... kidding!
- using shovels and rakes to clear the driveway of our cabin of enough snow and ice to park two cars side-by-side. That's a good workout.
- G bringing his kendo sword in hopes that he could duel Andrew on the slopes, to no avail. He brings a sword, but no snow gear. Go figure. Heh...
- The opposing Green team inexplicably winning four consecutive Sequence matches, largely on the strength of a roughly 3-to-1 Jack availability ratio. There's not much you can do against that kind of firepower.
- "I think Sherry is actually a spy for the Green team." -- Robert commenting on Sherry's play while on Blue.
- views of Lake Tahoe from the lifts and at the top of Heavenly.
- Enoch doing an involuntary near-backflip going off a jump on his snowboard.
- Nutella and jelly sandwiches. Mmm...
- "Dude, you're such a coward, hiding behind an injured girl." -- ski patrolman to George for hiding behind Karen on the slope while pelting Andrea with snowballs.
- "No one told me there was a jump!" -- Andrea after involuntarily going airborne.
- "Flashlight." "Where?" "It's here in my pocket." -- Brian, giving his team a "competitive advantage" in Scattergories for "things you can see in this room."
- Getting "football" voted down as a "winter sport." Two words: Snow Bowl.
- Quoting large portions of the original Star Wars Trilogy while playing "Trivial Pursuit: Star Wars Edition." Not too many crowds that are willing to try that out with me.
- Attempting to synchronize approximately 8 cameras to all take pictures at the same time on timer mode. This took us approximately 20 minutes to figure out. I probably didn't smile much for pictures.
- Visited Tomio and Alice in Davis on the way back over burritos. Lingered in the parking lot for probably 30 minutes longer than we first expected to leave.
With that, I'm officially wiped.
Still got lots to write about processing lessons from WCC (plus I need to summarize it to get a subsidy from my church :-))... but gonna weigh in on a few other topics first.
The acquisition of Baron Davis has re-energized the Warriors fan base. I hang out at a Warriors message board (see the link to the right) and in the last few days, the number of threads has exploded - people are actually excited about the franchise for the first time in a while. Even though I'm not a huge Baron fan, as a Warrior fan I'm willing to give him my support and hope that the team can be built up into a group that's at least exciting to watch, eventually making the playoffs. Huge amount of movement on trade deadline day... I'm enthused by the Nazr pickup by the Spurs, I think he'll do a good job giving the second unit some interior presence when Duncan needs to take a rest. This NBA season has just been a lot of fun to follow, with new stars emerging, the return of quality offenses, and a wide-open path to the title for any team willing to step up and go.
Got back from Tahoe today after a gorgeous weekend on the slopes. Aside from Karen's unfortunate accident, most everyone had a good time - the weather was fortuitously timed to give us a fresh layer of new powder but wasn't heavy enough to require chains either on the way up or down. I skied for the frist time in several years and did better than I expected, even remembering the lessons someone gave me about using the poles to get yourself into a rhythm during the turns (planting to act as a "fulcrum" and dragging to enhance balance). 'Course, since Heavenly barely had any green runs at all, I needed to remember as quickly as possible. My favorite runs are probably the long blues where you just follow a path all the way down the mountain, since you can stop at any time to admire the view of the Lake, or watch expert boarders doing tricks off jumps.
Random list of memories and quotes:
- conversations in the car with George and my coworkers Eli and Garfield on topics ranging from comics to movies to cameras to internet geek stuff to the national welfare system to the purpose of laws to home buying to societal observations on marriage. Oh, and throw in a dose of empathy for JT for enduring Joy, Andrea, and Karen on both legs of the trip... kidding!
- using shovels and rakes to clear the driveway of our cabin of enough snow and ice to park two cars side-by-side. That's a good workout.
- G bringing his kendo sword in hopes that he could duel Andrew on the slopes, to no avail. He brings a sword, but no snow gear. Go figure. Heh...
- The opposing Green team inexplicably winning four consecutive Sequence matches, largely on the strength of a roughly 3-to-1 Jack availability ratio. There's not much you can do against that kind of firepower.
- "I think Sherry is actually a spy for the Green team." -- Robert commenting on Sherry's play while on Blue.
- views of Lake Tahoe from the lifts and at the top of Heavenly.
- Enoch doing an involuntary near-backflip going off a jump on his snowboard.
- Nutella and jelly sandwiches. Mmm...
- "Dude, you're such a coward, hiding behind an injured girl." -- ski patrolman to George for hiding behind Karen on the slope while pelting Andrea with snowballs.
- "No one told me there was a jump!" -- Andrea after involuntarily going airborne.
- "Flashlight." "Where?" "It's here in my pocket." -- Brian, giving his team a "competitive advantage" in Scattergories for "things you can see in this room."
- Getting "football" voted down as a "winter sport." Two words: Snow Bowl.
- Quoting large portions of the original Star Wars Trilogy while playing "Trivial Pursuit: Star Wars Edition." Not too many crowds that are willing to try that out with me.
- Attempting to synchronize approximately 8 cameras to all take pictures at the same time on timer mode. This took us approximately 20 minutes to figure out. I probably didn't smile much for pictures.
- Visited Tomio and Alice in Davis on the way back over burritos. Lingered in the parking lot for probably 30 minutes longer than we first expected to leave.
With that, I'm officially wiped.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home