Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Random notes

Notes n' stuff from the weekend gone by...

Martin acoustic guitar with rosewood back and sides + Highlander saddle pickup = a very nice, full, resonant, and loud sound. Utilized Byron's newly-equipped guitar this weekend for leading singspiration, and while I'm content with my Yamaha, those whispers to get a Taylor are getting louder... haha.

Supposedly, one of the tricks for playing fingerstyle is to grow out the nails of your picking hand (usually the right) while keeping the nails on the left hand trimmed for fretboard work. Well, I haven't cut the nails on my right hand for a few weeks now, and while I do get a clearer sound out of the strings, the rest of the time I always feel like I'm gonna slash something open, Wolverine or Sabertooth style. I don't know how women live with long nails.

On a related note, I haven't gotten a haircut since Thanksgiving.

Does it demean gaming integrity if I, having watched Hanlin and Andy Y play "Resident Evil 4" a few times on the GameCube now, am interested enough in the story to go and read a game walkthrough just to follow the story even though I have no interest in playing the game?

At Andy/Ruth's birthday party on Saturday, Andy received "Trivial Pursuit - Lord of the Rings Edition." Based off the movie version of the story, the first several questions that we tried were rather easy, and I think Byron and I got a little cocky. Since God has both a fine sense of irony and comic timing, the next several questions were quite difficult (i.e. "Cameron Rhodes played which Shire character?" and "How many soldiers stand guard outside the Golden Hall of Edoras at all times?"). We'll conquer that game yet.

"Office Space" is such a highly quotable movie. Some of these can be inserted into plenty of everyday conversations, particularly here in the Silicon Valley:
"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."
"It's not that I'm lazy... it's just that I don't care."
"Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh - after that I sorta space out for an hour. I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work."
"We'll be getting rid of these people here... First, Mr. Samir Naga... Naga... Naga... Not gonna work here anymore, anyway."
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."
"Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements."
And finally... "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays!"

It doesn't get better than enjoying gorgeous weather outdoors on an early February weekend playing basketball, then having the rain start only when you get to the office on Monday. That's some prime timing by the Man Upstairs.

The Super Bowl was a solid contest. You could tell which team had been there before, and which hadn't. Despite the fact that I don't like TO's bombast and the way he burned every bridge on his way out of SF, gotta give props for a truly stunning performance on Sunday on one ankle. What the heck was Philly doing huddling up with 4 minutes to go and needing 2 scores anyway?

The commercials generally didn't wow me that much this year. I chuckled at the Ameriquest "Don't judge too quickly" commercials with the dinner preparation and the convenience store cell phone mishap (those hands-free headsets are ripe sources for situational humor), and the Lay's spot with Hammer getting thrown back over the fence was amusing once (but will probably get really tired really fast). I also liked a commercial for the Toyota Prius where everything was walking/rolling in place, then the car comes in representing new technology - clever use of a techy visual gimmick. Unlike a lot of commentators and friends, I didn't like the ads with monkeys in them very much. Here are a few links to comments and lists of the commercials that ran: Detroit News, SF Chronicle, and CBS.

The deal is done and Protego Networks has now officially become part of Cisco Systems. We'll be going in for orientation tomorrow. Joining a big company is seriously like swearing loyalty to a country. Well, at least we get free drinks and access to a gym now.

Finally, a tune to get stuck in your head, just like it was mine for most of the last 24 hours:

"Naaa.... na, na, NA-na-NA-NA.... NA-na-NA-NA... HEY JUDE!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home