Today's adventures with a Nalgene bottle
I keep a Nalgene bottle at work - the classic blue one with the black plastic screw-on cap. When full, it holds a little more than 1 liter of water, which is a little more than 32 oz. (4 cups). Every day when I come into the office, I set up my laptop and while things are booting up, grab the Nalgene and fill it up in the breakroom. I fill up again after lunch, finish that in the afternoon, and maybe go through another quarter liter before going home. All told, this helps me drink more than the 8 glasses of water you're supposed to drink a day. I usually finish the last drops before going home and leave the cap off the top to let the bottle air dry.
So this morning, I come in, get set up, fill up the bottle, sit down and eat my banana and crackers for breakfast while periodically taking swigs of water. About 4 swallows into the bottle, I felt something plunk up against my front teeth. Curious, I put down the bottle and picked the object out of my teeth.
'Twas a drowned spider.
Now, maybe this is an example of where being a Christian can add complications to your life, since I've heard plenty of stories of missionaries in the field who encounter natives that don't realize a spider laid eggs in their mouth until a boil bursts and hundreds of little spiders come running out. I immediately emptied the bottle and washed it inside and out with dishwashing liquid, then rinsed my mouth a few times and gargled in the restroom, and I'll probably rinse with Listerine first thing when I get home. Yes, I know I'm overreacting since I only drank 4 swallows of water before my discovery, but if I start feeling the pitter-patter of little feet inside my mouth or my stomach in the next few days, I won't be very happy.
Or maybe it was a radioactive spider and I'll wake up tomorrow with my vision corrected and superpowers...
I keep a Nalgene bottle at work - the classic blue one with the black plastic screw-on cap. When full, it holds a little more than 1 liter of water, which is a little more than 32 oz. (4 cups). Every day when I come into the office, I set up my laptop and while things are booting up, grab the Nalgene and fill it up in the breakroom. I fill up again after lunch, finish that in the afternoon, and maybe go through another quarter liter before going home. All told, this helps me drink more than the 8 glasses of water you're supposed to drink a day. I usually finish the last drops before going home and leave the cap off the top to let the bottle air dry.
So this morning, I come in, get set up, fill up the bottle, sit down and eat my banana and crackers for breakfast while periodically taking swigs of water. About 4 swallows into the bottle, I felt something plunk up against my front teeth. Curious, I put down the bottle and picked the object out of my teeth.
'Twas a drowned spider.
Now, maybe this is an example of where being a Christian can add complications to your life, since I've heard plenty of stories of missionaries in the field who encounter natives that don't realize a spider laid eggs in their mouth until a boil bursts and hundreds of little spiders come running out. I immediately emptied the bottle and washed it inside and out with dishwashing liquid, then rinsed my mouth a few times and gargled in the restroom, and I'll probably rinse with Listerine first thing when I get home. Yes, I know I'm overreacting since I only drank 4 swallows of water before my discovery, but if I start feeling the pitter-patter of little feet inside my mouth or my stomach in the next few days, I won't be very happy.
Or maybe it was a radioactive spider and I'll wake up tomorrow with my vision corrected and superpowers...

1 Comments:
"one for j.j.!"
(lol... bob being messenger for reni)
but i think often times people just get shocked about the prospect of finding spiders or insects in their food; truth is, i'm sure there's a lot more grounded up insects or spiders in our processed foods(like hershey's chocolate; each chocolate bar contains an average of 8 spider legs) that we just don't know about. like bread. it's just that for you it became a bit more obvious.
not that i'm saying i'd have no problem eating a spider that just fell into my food. but i do believe people overhype it like that.
i've found that while i don't exactly like the taste of water, that it really works wonders on you in trying to concentrate... basically, a lot of times that i've felt tired and fallen asleep studying, refreshed myself by drink a bit of water before continuing... so yea, i'm finding more and more you don't need food to keep you alert... just water, which is why fasting really makes a lot more sense than it used to be... i don't have a nalgene bottle, but a huge stanton nalgene-like water bottle that i got at any mountain which i use on campus...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home