Movin' on out
Oh, one bit of personal news before diving into Mexico-related items... after over 4.5 years of living at home with the folks (since graduating from college), I'll be moving out at the end of this month into a townhome in Mountain View with a couple of guys from my church (3 bedroom / 2 bathroom).
I've actually really enjoyed my stay at home, and I think my experience has been better than many of my peers who also went that route because I never chafed at spending so much time with my parents... on the contrary, I learned a lot from each of them (usually at the dinner table) because they treated me more like an adult than like the kid I was in high school. Mom taught me a lot about dealing with people and greatly encouraged me, particularly during difficult times at the startup struggling with mental fatigue and physical pain due to the onset of RSI. Dad's been instrumental in guiding and providing advice as I've gotten my career started, and has also taken the time to teach me how to do random things around the house. It's been great.
Why move out then? In short, I think it's an important next step for me to basically grow up. While I could stay where I am and continue saving a good chunk of change in rent money, I believe the life investment will be worth it. It oughta be fun living with peers again (Hanlin and Chris, Canaan's soon-to-be youth pastor). I'm already thinking about all the living tricks I made use of back at the apartment in Berkeley, mostly food-related, like making smoothies daily or microwaving baked potatoes with cheese. The egg quesadilla will probably make a re-entrance as well.
Seeing as how my brain isn't totally back in synch with everything going on here, and with vacation coming up in a few weeks, I really haven't put much thought into a moving plan yet. But I'm sure we'll let you know when it's time to check out the new pad.
Oh, one bit of personal news before diving into Mexico-related items... after over 4.5 years of living at home with the folks (since graduating from college), I'll be moving out at the end of this month into a townhome in Mountain View with a couple of guys from my church (3 bedroom / 2 bathroom).
I've actually really enjoyed my stay at home, and I think my experience has been better than many of my peers who also went that route because I never chafed at spending so much time with my parents... on the contrary, I learned a lot from each of them (usually at the dinner table) because they treated me more like an adult than like the kid I was in high school. Mom taught me a lot about dealing with people and greatly encouraged me, particularly during difficult times at the startup struggling with mental fatigue and physical pain due to the onset of RSI. Dad's been instrumental in guiding and providing advice as I've gotten my career started, and has also taken the time to teach me how to do random things around the house. It's been great.
Why move out then? In short, I think it's an important next step for me to basically grow up. While I could stay where I am and continue saving a good chunk of change in rent money, I believe the life investment will be worth it. It oughta be fun living with peers again (Hanlin and Chris, Canaan's soon-to-be youth pastor). I'm already thinking about all the living tricks I made use of back at the apartment in Berkeley, mostly food-related, like making smoothies daily or microwaving baked potatoes with cheese. The egg quesadilla will probably make a re-entrance as well.
Seeing as how my brain isn't totally back in synch with everything going on here, and with vacation coming up in a few weeks, I really haven't put much thought into a moving plan yet. But I'm sure we'll let you know when it's time to check out the new pad.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home