Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Onions everywhere!

Shrek: "Ogres are like onions."
Donkey: "They stink?"
Shrek: "Yes. NO!"
Donkey: "Oh, they make you cry."
Shrek: "No."
Donkey: "Oh, you leave em out in the sun, they get all brown, start sproutin' little white hairs."
Shrek: "NO. Layers. Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers." [sighs]
Donkey: "Oh, you both have layers. Oh. You know, not everybody like onions."

I'm still working on my Mexico reflections, but in the meantime, this was my dinner menu from last Friday:

Meal #1
Salad with white/yellow onion and grated onion dressing
Pearl onions in balsamic vinegar
Steak strips with grilled and raw onions
Chocolate truffles with onion essence
Wasabi-flavored ice cream

Meal #2
French onion soup
Bulgogi with green onion
Risotto with onion, peas, squash, and assorted veggies
Onion and anchovie tart
Fruit and onion smoothie

What kind of crazy chef would serve such a meal, you ask? Why, an Iron Chef, of course!

The youth group had its third annual Iron Chef competition on Friday, with the not-so-secret special ingredient of onion and bonus ingredient of wasabi (2003 - tomato, 2004 - apple/chocolate). Check out George's pictures to get a glimpse of the final product. Being an onion fan, I was looking forward to the meal, and was curious to see how the teams would go about incorporating onion into the desserts - and also whether any dish would be particularly salty due to all the crying from cutting up the onions (flashback to "Shaolin Soccer's" yin-yang bao zi lady). Interestingly enough, the desserts (truffle and smoothie) ended up as two of my top three favorite dishes from the night (along with the risotto, which was very flavorful and the veggies added great texture). The desserts in general tasted like their normal substance, but had a hint of an onion aftertaste that wasn't as weird as you might expect.

Kudos to everyone's creativity.

In other news...

I appear to have contracted a mild infection in my leg cut/scrape, which prevented me from enjoying the beautiful weather on Sunday afternoon by playing basketball. It felt weird to be in the house on a Sunday afternoon when it wasn't raining, all the more so since I had my leg propped up to let fluid drain out. This is annoying.

As I get ready to begin moving things into the new place this Saturday, I'm realizing that due to living at home, I don't have much stuff outside of bedroom items. Depending on what tack I choose to go, I could either just scrounge things to live with a la college days, or begin investing in nicer items, like a TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home