4th of July weekend recap
- Thursday, went to Carmel with a group of folks from the young adult fellowship at Canaan. Line of the day... "This is such a chick town!" - Andrew Wu, after looking around at all the "quaint" stores and "cute" restaurants with nary an auto shop, electronics outlet, or sporting goods store in sight. Hilarious.
- in the afternoon we went to Monterey, 'bout 20 mins away from Carmel, to stake out a spot on the beach for that evening's fireworks show. By the time we got there (around 5 pm) the beach was already literally packed from one end to the other with beach umbrellas, beach towels, bbq grills, lawn chairs, and lots and lots of people. The only spot we were able to find to sit down was about 20 yards from the row of port-a-potties... but we got used to the smell pretty quickly. Or maybe the wind just changed.
- the fireworks display was very impressive... much better than I had anticipated. My faves tend to be the ones that explode outward slowly and then drift down before fizzing out, rather than the common ones that explode and disappear. However, the neatest one we saw were fireworks that exploded into happy faces... a circle with 2 eyes and a smiley mouth. Kinda like the AOL IM smiley. Afterwards, while we were waiting for the crush of cars in line to get onto the freeway to dissipate, we hung out at a bar/restaurant near the beach, where Mark got an impromptu lesson in darts throwing.
- Friday, after staying the night in Carmel, we hit the beach and played Revolution... 2 decks for 8 people... Walter somehow ended up with 2 revolutions in the same hand. I took the time to just lie on the fine white sand, and attempted to wax poetic about it by trying to come up with my own Proverb (or fortune cookie?) about sand... noticing that every other Proverb seems to be about a quarrelsome wife, tried to make some up like that... "A quarrelsome wife is like sand in the hand... you just can't get a grip on it." Anyway... after eating lunch, we headed back to the South Bay, where I dropped off my carload of people and headed straight to Pam and Andy's wedding rehearsal. I was an usher, so I was somewhat confused as to why they wanted me at the rehearsal... well, turned out that when I got there I found out I was one of the ushers who was supposed to escort the grandparents to their seats during the processional. Man, one more thing to concentrate on besides "bride's guests - left side" and "groom's guests - right side" - I had to worry about tripping and knocking over some nice Chinese grandmas and grandpas.
- Stayed overnight from Friday to Saturday at Danny/Cal/JLau's place in Richmond. After staying up late to watch "Rat Race", woke up late and spent the morning watching vintage Transformers episodes on DVD... wow, it brought back memories to see Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, Soundwave, Rumble, and the rest of them... that show used to be so much fun. Now every kid's show is just Japanese anime with real bad dubbing.
- The wedding was very cool. Felt much more confident ushering people in than when I was a "rookie" at Drew and Vicky's wedding... didn't seat anyone on the wrong side like I did at D&V's... plus I didn't trip while walking the grandma and grandpa down the aisle. Hm, I've walked down the center aisle at a wedding. Weird... anyway, Andy and Pam have basically been "married" for most of the years I've known them, but it was a beautiful wedding and there's already a pretty solid foundation for the marriage to start with.
- Thursday, went to Carmel with a group of folks from the young adult fellowship at Canaan. Line of the day... "This is such a chick town!" - Andrew Wu, after looking around at all the "quaint" stores and "cute" restaurants with nary an auto shop, electronics outlet, or sporting goods store in sight. Hilarious.
- in the afternoon we went to Monterey, 'bout 20 mins away from Carmel, to stake out a spot on the beach for that evening's fireworks show. By the time we got there (around 5 pm) the beach was already literally packed from one end to the other with beach umbrellas, beach towels, bbq grills, lawn chairs, and lots and lots of people. The only spot we were able to find to sit down was about 20 yards from the row of port-a-potties... but we got used to the smell pretty quickly. Or maybe the wind just changed.
- the fireworks display was very impressive... much better than I had anticipated. My faves tend to be the ones that explode outward slowly and then drift down before fizzing out, rather than the common ones that explode and disappear. However, the neatest one we saw were fireworks that exploded into happy faces... a circle with 2 eyes and a smiley mouth. Kinda like the AOL IM smiley. Afterwards, while we were waiting for the crush of cars in line to get onto the freeway to dissipate, we hung out at a bar/restaurant near the beach, where Mark got an impromptu lesson in darts throwing.
- Friday, after staying the night in Carmel, we hit the beach and played Revolution... 2 decks for 8 people... Walter somehow ended up with 2 revolutions in the same hand. I took the time to just lie on the fine white sand, and attempted to wax poetic about it by trying to come up with my own Proverb (or fortune cookie?) about sand... noticing that every other Proverb seems to be about a quarrelsome wife, tried to make some up like that... "A quarrelsome wife is like sand in the hand... you just can't get a grip on it." Anyway... after eating lunch, we headed back to the South Bay, where I dropped off my carload of people and headed straight to Pam and Andy's wedding rehearsal. I was an usher, so I was somewhat confused as to why they wanted me at the rehearsal... well, turned out that when I got there I found out I was one of the ushers who was supposed to escort the grandparents to their seats during the processional. Man, one more thing to concentrate on besides "bride's guests - left side" and "groom's guests - right side" - I had to worry about tripping and knocking over some nice Chinese grandmas and grandpas.
- Stayed overnight from Friday to Saturday at Danny/Cal/JLau's place in Richmond. After staying up late to watch "Rat Race", woke up late and spent the morning watching vintage Transformers episodes on DVD... wow, it brought back memories to see Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, Soundwave, Rumble, and the rest of them... that show used to be so much fun. Now every kid's show is just Japanese anime with real bad dubbing.
- The wedding was very cool. Felt much more confident ushering people in than when I was a "rookie" at Drew and Vicky's wedding... didn't seat anyone on the wrong side like I did at D&V's... plus I didn't trip while walking the grandma and grandpa down the aisle. Hm, I've walked down the center aisle at a wedding. Weird... anyway, Andy and Pam have basically been "married" for most of the years I've known them, but it was a beautiful wedding and there's already a pretty solid foundation for the marriage to start with.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home