One final addendum to my account of my week off - the final night (Sunday), went to the San Jose Arena with a few other people to volunteer selling merchandise at the Third Day/Michael W. Smith concert. Although we saw less of the concert that was advertised (supposed to miss only 1/4, ended up seeing maybe 1/3), it was fun selling merchandise and trying to serve people. I got to make some recommendations on CDs too. We did end up staying a bit late in order to count remaining merchandise.
Memorial Day Weekend recap
Still have a post with musings on work and purpose to write. But just so I don't forget, I had a fairly packed weekend over Memorial Day, working off stress from my 60-hr week.
Friday
Left work at 10:20 pm. Youth group was already over, so I headed over to Andrea's place where a several friends were hanging out playing video games, eating and chatting. Covered conversation topics from how to read the lines on your palm (according to my hand, I apparently have a ways to go before meeting the love of my life... [shrug]), to funny college stories, to debating what qualities a guy would need in order to date someone older than he was. I was only half awake for that last one though.
Saturday
Got a call from Derek K (a fellow AACF/Immunology alumnus and Spurs fan) to play some ball. When I got there I found out that my high school friend Tunhow was a part of this weekly game. I can't make most Saturdays at noon due to praise band practice, but when I can I'll probably try since I can't make Mondays (now at SGI!) anymore. It was fun to play with Tunhow again... dude's about my height but I think he used to be able to dunk, if not a volleyball, a tennis ball... I couldn't hit a jump shot to save my life while running 5-on-5 but eventually found my stroke when people left and we played 3-on-3. On a separate note, someone started a couple of fires at the school we were playing at while we were there, so a neighbor asked us to call the fire department. Guess someone didn't want to come back after Memorial Day.
After hoops, swung by Byron's place and hung out with him, Maria, Andrea, and Maria's sister and friend who were up for the weekend. Went for a walk on the Stevens Creek trail where we talked about grown-up stuff like buying houses and discerning God's will for a career. Walked into one open house in Mtn View... was pretty sweet.
That evening, went to Hot Pot City in Milpitas where Byron et al met up with a few more of their old LA friends, including Mike, Andy, Enoch+wife+baby Evan (sp?), as well as Mike's roommate Andus. This would be the beginning of a lot of protein intake for me over this weekend. At Hot Pot, I'm partial to the marinated beef and lamb, supplemented by veggies and the occasional California roll.
After dinner, headed up to East Bay, where I spent the night at Danny/Cal/JLau's cutting a huge tub of Costco mushrooms into slices for grilling the next day at their house bbq.
Sunday
Woke up bright and early to watch my bro David walk at his Legal Studies graduation at UC Berkeley. Stepping onto campus made me realize that it was my first time back to campus essentially since I graduated, in winter of 2000. My sense of geography has faded tremendously - I can't remember street names or building names anymore. Walking back into campus brought back a few memories of successes and failures during my tenure there... but I digress. As it was early, I napped while the LS speakers talked for a bit, then snapped a few shots of my bro as he walked across the Zellerbach stage. Afterward we went for a celebratory lunch at Macaroni Grill in El Cerrito, where apparently they built a brand-new shopping center that certainly wasn't there when I was there. On another note, apparently the new DC between and serving Units 1 and 2 has good food. Sigh...
My parents dropped me back off at DCJ's place in Richmond for their bbq. Danny wrote some about it in his blog. They do a great job. Over the course of the afternoon, I got caught up with Andy Y, Pam, Jon F, Phuoc, and somewhat with Howie, as well as the hosts. It was also hilarious watching Jon F try to play the Lord of the Rings PS2 video game and continually get his butt kicked by a single non-boss orc.
That evening, watched some of the Spurs-Mavs game, then headed to SF where I met up with some friends from Canaan at the Boom Boom Room, a jazz/funk club off of Geary, near Japantown. Decent live music, but certainly too loud to hold a decent conversation with anyone inside. 'Twas fun though. I tend to prefer swing/ballroom outings, however, even though I'm not very good at either.
Monday
Had another bbq (I think I got 5000 percent of my recommended protein intake over this past weekend) with a few Canaan folks in Mtn View, where we grilled up some burgers, sausages, and Korean kal-bi and bul-go-gi. I bought a watermelon for the bbq, and at the supermarket tried knocking on them to hear a sound difference. Apparently you're supposed to listen for a crisper noise, which is supposed to indicate a higher water content inside. Well, I thought it tasted okay.
Afterwards, got to see the near-final version of Alice and Tomio's slideshow... it was awesome... Andrew N is a very talented man.
That evening, watched Antwone Fisher with a few folks. Decent flick, although rather slow-paced. It was Denzel Washington's directorial debut about a young man in the Navy who's sent to see Washington's character because of an anger management problem, and through their sessions we see that he's had a pretty traumatic childhood. 'Twas a decent drama, but the 2+ hrs felt like much more than that.
Random
Current CDs: The Joshua Tree by U2, Divine Discontent by Sixpence None the Richer, Back Home by Caedmon's Call, Offerings 2 by Third Day, WOW Worship Yellow. Memorable lyrics:
"Tension is like a passing note to a beautiful chord." - Sixpence
"My God, my God, why hast Thou accepted me / When all my love was vinegar to a thirsty King / My God, my God why hast thou accepted me / It’s a mystery of mercy and the song, the song I sing" - Caedmon's Call
Also been listening to a modern-day hymn on the WOW CD called "In Christ Alone", by Stuart Townend. Great song. If you're reading this and you go to Canaan, expect to hear it in the coming months.
Found this interesting link from Seri's blog, about the notion of chivalry: how it almost died, and how it could make a comeback if only men would take the initiative to do things like open car doors for women, and a host of other things. I know I'm not very good at this concept, but there's nothing wrong with trying to improve. Here's a specific question though - opening building doors isn't that hard, you just have to quicken your pace a bit in order to get to the door handle first. I can even see how opening the car door for a single female passenger wouldn't take that much effort as well. However, what do you do when you have multiple people entering your car? Is it proper to go flying around the perimeter of the car opening and closing doors?
Food for thought on an early Thursday morning when I've already spent too many of my waking hours in front of a computer screen...
Memorial Day Weekend recap
Still have a post with musings on work and purpose to write. But just so I don't forget, I had a fairly packed weekend over Memorial Day, working off stress from my 60-hr week.
Friday
Left work at 10:20 pm. Youth group was already over, so I headed over to Andrea's place where a several friends were hanging out playing video games, eating and chatting. Covered conversation topics from how to read the lines on your palm (according to my hand, I apparently have a ways to go before meeting the love of my life... [shrug]), to funny college stories, to debating what qualities a guy would need in order to date someone older than he was. I was only half awake for that last one though.
Saturday
Got a call from Derek K (a fellow AACF/Immunology alumnus and Spurs fan) to play some ball. When I got there I found out that my high school friend Tunhow was a part of this weekly game. I can't make most Saturdays at noon due to praise band practice, but when I can I'll probably try since I can't make Mondays (now at SGI!) anymore. It was fun to play with Tunhow again... dude's about my height but I think he used to be able to dunk, if not a volleyball, a tennis ball... I couldn't hit a jump shot to save my life while running 5-on-5 but eventually found my stroke when people left and we played 3-on-3. On a separate note, someone started a couple of fires at the school we were playing at while we were there, so a neighbor asked us to call the fire department. Guess someone didn't want to come back after Memorial Day.
After hoops, swung by Byron's place and hung out with him, Maria, Andrea, and Maria's sister and friend who were up for the weekend. Went for a walk on the Stevens Creek trail where we talked about grown-up stuff like buying houses and discerning God's will for a career. Walked into one open house in Mtn View... was pretty sweet.
That evening, went to Hot Pot City in Milpitas where Byron et al met up with a few more of their old LA friends, including Mike, Andy, Enoch+wife+baby Evan (sp?), as well as Mike's roommate Andus. This would be the beginning of a lot of protein intake for me over this weekend. At Hot Pot, I'm partial to the marinated beef and lamb, supplemented by veggies and the occasional California roll.
After dinner, headed up to East Bay, where I spent the night at Danny/Cal/JLau's cutting a huge tub of Costco mushrooms into slices for grilling the next day at their house bbq.
Sunday
Woke up bright and early to watch my bro David walk at his Legal Studies graduation at UC Berkeley. Stepping onto campus made me realize that it was my first time back to campus essentially since I graduated, in winter of 2000. My sense of geography has faded tremendously - I can't remember street names or building names anymore. Walking back into campus brought back a few memories of successes and failures during my tenure there... but I digress. As it was early, I napped while the LS speakers talked for a bit, then snapped a few shots of my bro as he walked across the Zellerbach stage. Afterward we went for a celebratory lunch at Macaroni Grill in El Cerrito, where apparently they built a brand-new shopping center that certainly wasn't there when I was there. On another note, apparently the new DC between and serving Units 1 and 2 has good food. Sigh...
My parents dropped me back off at DCJ's place in Richmond for their bbq. Danny wrote some about it in his blog. They do a great job. Over the course of the afternoon, I got caught up with Andy Y, Pam, Jon F, Phuoc, and somewhat with Howie, as well as the hosts. It was also hilarious watching Jon F try to play the Lord of the Rings PS2 video game and continually get his butt kicked by a single non-boss orc.
That evening, watched some of the Spurs-Mavs game, then headed to SF where I met up with some friends from Canaan at the Boom Boom Room, a jazz/funk club off of Geary, near Japantown. Decent live music, but certainly too loud to hold a decent conversation with anyone inside. 'Twas fun though. I tend to prefer swing/ballroom outings, however, even though I'm not very good at either.
Monday
Had another bbq (I think I got 5000 percent of my recommended protein intake over this past weekend) with a few Canaan folks in Mtn View, where we grilled up some burgers, sausages, and Korean kal-bi and bul-go-gi. I bought a watermelon for the bbq, and at the supermarket tried knocking on them to hear a sound difference. Apparently you're supposed to listen for a crisper noise, which is supposed to indicate a higher water content inside. Well, I thought it tasted okay.
Afterwards, got to see the near-final version of Alice and Tomio's slideshow... it was awesome... Andrew N is a very talented man.
That evening, watched Antwone Fisher with a few folks. Decent flick, although rather slow-paced. It was Denzel Washington's directorial debut about a young man in the Navy who's sent to see Washington's character because of an anger management problem, and through their sessions we see that he's had a pretty traumatic childhood. 'Twas a decent drama, but the 2+ hrs felt like much more than that.
Random
Current CDs: The Joshua Tree by U2, Divine Discontent by Sixpence None the Richer, Back Home by Caedmon's Call, Offerings 2 by Third Day, WOW Worship Yellow. Memorable lyrics:
"Tension is like a passing note to a beautiful chord." - Sixpence
"My God, my God, why hast Thou accepted me / When all my love was vinegar to a thirsty King / My God, my God why hast thou accepted me / It’s a mystery of mercy and the song, the song I sing" - Caedmon's Call
Also been listening to a modern-day hymn on the WOW CD called "In Christ Alone", by Stuart Townend. Great song. If you're reading this and you go to Canaan, expect to hear it in the coming months.
Found this interesting link from Seri's blog, about the notion of chivalry: how it almost died, and how it could make a comeback if only men would take the initiative to do things like open car doors for women, and a host of other things. I know I'm not very good at this concept, but there's nothing wrong with trying to improve. Here's a specific question though - opening building doors isn't that hard, you just have to quicken your pace a bit in order to get to the door handle first. I can even see how opening the car door for a single female passenger wouldn't take that much effort as well. However, what do you do when you have multiple people entering your car? Is it proper to go flying around the perimeter of the car opening and closing doors?
Food for thought on an early Thursday morning when I've already spent too many of my waking hours in front of a computer screen...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home