Quick recap 2003/06/07 - 2003/06/09
Saturday
"On June 7, 2003, Alice Chen and Tomio Miyai were wedded in matrimonial bliss. The world knew them as the perfect couple: intelligent, and beautiful..."
Okay, so it's probably bad that I still remember many of my lines from the slideshow that Andrew, Karen, and I put together. Um, who am I kidding, Andrew did all the work. I just read lines from a script into a recording program on his PowerBook. Some lines needed to be repeated... over... and over... and over... just imagine repeating the phrase "The Mediterranean, baby!" 26 times just to get one take. I definitely don't have any vocal talent. I think that extends to my singing voice too. If I'm gonna continue leading worship, I think I'll definitely need to take some voice lessons.
'Twas a fun wedding. I got dubbed as an honorary Chen brother because I was a candlelighter, usher, gift-mover, narrator for the slideshow, and Tomio-stand-in during one of the games at the reception. Got seated with a bunch of old-school Canaan folks and slipped back into my role as primary cameraman. While you sometimes can't help but just shake your head at some of the girls' antics, it is cool to see how they've been able to sustain their friendships over time and distance.
Interestingly, for a good portion of the reception/hang-out time after the reception, I spent a fair amount of time out of my seat performing various tasks, ranging from locating people, to setting up stuff, to moving gifts, to cleaning up. I don't think I'm nearly as antisocial as I used to be in high school and previous, but something I've noticed about myself is that in large social events, I'm often more comfortable helping out in some way than I am hanging around and catching up with everyone I know. I'm not sure why this is.
Other amusing moments: Eric's "whip" sound - "wha-pssss"... Jerry eating [gasp] fish - voluntarily!... Joyce going off on rants (blast from the past)... O and Eva making up movements to "Eternal Flame" during the slideshow (bet they thought no one would notice)... John P giving me a few Star Wars books as a belated b-day gift. Thanks John!
Sunday
Sunday after church, had lunch at Pho with a few folks, played some ball w/ Reni's husband Maurice (dude's long... it takes a lot of concentration to try to stay in front of him and make him shoot over you rather than around you), then went home and watched my Spurs pull out a wretchedly ugly win over the Nets that evening. A win is a win.
Monday - skip if you're queasy
Got to go home early from work yesterday because I got hit by a case of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) after lunch. As I read through my email, I noticed that although I was still thinking clearly, my sense of balance was way off. Standing up, sitting down, even tilting my head would cause a wave of vertigo to sweep through me. Lying down, going outside for some fresh air, gulping down water didn't seem to help. I involuntarily stumbled from cube wall to cube wall, then went into the restroom and threw up the contents of my lunch as well as a lot of the water I had just drunk. Afterwards, I felt better, but still allowed a coworker to drive me to see my doctor, then crashed at home the rest of the day. Apparently BPPV randomly hits people, and it's characterized by the crystals in your inner ear that help give you a sense of balance going out of sync (did you know we have crystals in our ears? I didn't). There's no real cause, and usually just takes a day or two to get over. I've gotten through today okay. It was quite bewildering however, to be in full control of my mental faculties and yet still not be able to stand up straight.
Saturday
"On June 7, 2003, Alice Chen and Tomio Miyai were wedded in matrimonial bliss. The world knew them as the perfect couple: intelligent, and beautiful..."
Okay, so it's probably bad that I still remember many of my lines from the slideshow that Andrew, Karen, and I put together. Um, who am I kidding, Andrew did all the work. I just read lines from a script into a recording program on his PowerBook. Some lines needed to be repeated... over... and over... and over... just imagine repeating the phrase "The Mediterranean, baby!" 26 times just to get one take. I definitely don't have any vocal talent. I think that extends to my singing voice too. If I'm gonna continue leading worship, I think I'll definitely need to take some voice lessons.
'Twas a fun wedding. I got dubbed as an honorary Chen brother because I was a candlelighter, usher, gift-mover, narrator for the slideshow, and Tomio-stand-in during one of the games at the reception. Got seated with a bunch of old-school Canaan folks and slipped back into my role as primary cameraman. While you sometimes can't help but just shake your head at some of the girls' antics, it is cool to see how they've been able to sustain their friendships over time and distance.
Interestingly, for a good portion of the reception/hang-out time after the reception, I spent a fair amount of time out of my seat performing various tasks, ranging from locating people, to setting up stuff, to moving gifts, to cleaning up. I don't think I'm nearly as antisocial as I used to be in high school and previous, but something I've noticed about myself is that in large social events, I'm often more comfortable helping out in some way than I am hanging around and catching up with everyone I know. I'm not sure why this is.
Other amusing moments: Eric's "whip" sound - "wha-pssss"... Jerry eating [gasp] fish - voluntarily!... Joyce going off on rants (blast from the past)... O and Eva making up movements to "Eternal Flame" during the slideshow (bet they thought no one would notice)... John P giving me a few Star Wars books as a belated b-day gift. Thanks John!
Sunday
Sunday after church, had lunch at Pho with a few folks, played some ball w/ Reni's husband Maurice (dude's long... it takes a lot of concentration to try to stay in front of him and make him shoot over you rather than around you), then went home and watched my Spurs pull out a wretchedly ugly win over the Nets that evening. A win is a win.
Monday - skip if you're queasy
Got to go home early from work yesterday because I got hit by a case of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) after lunch. As I read through my email, I noticed that although I was still thinking clearly, my sense of balance was way off. Standing up, sitting down, even tilting my head would cause a wave of vertigo to sweep through me. Lying down, going outside for some fresh air, gulping down water didn't seem to help. I involuntarily stumbled from cube wall to cube wall, then went into the restroom and threw up the contents of my lunch as well as a lot of the water I had just drunk. Afterwards, I felt better, but still allowed a coworker to drive me to see my doctor, then crashed at home the rest of the day. Apparently BPPV randomly hits people, and it's characterized by the crystals in your inner ear that help give you a sense of balance going out of sync (did you know we have crystals in our ears? I didn't). There's no real cause, and usually just takes a day or two to get over. I've gotten through today okay. It was quite bewildering however, to be in full control of my mental faculties and yet still not be able to stand up straight.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home