Aside from silence, music is the only way to express the inexpressible
Picked up the above saying sometime during my college years. After re-reading the chapter on Solitude this morning in Foster's Celebration of Discipline (which I'm going through with my bro), I felt compelled to turn off my CDs and radio for the half-hour drive to work. While I love and enjoy music and certainly won't be giving it up any time soon, it really is amazing to feel the ways your mind goes when it's not being occupied by something specific. I think I'm going to try silence in the morning more often.
Not after work though. My brain is so fried that I need music to keep me sane.
This has been a difficult work week. Release on Friday, been staying till nearly 11 each night so far while eating lunch and dinner at my desk. Coupled with some ill-remembered mild arm soreness, I've felt the stirrings of some old resentments from last year - why am I doing this? Is this worth it from a financial standpoint? An experiential standpoint? Why don't I care much, and would I care more if I had more of my desire and passion wrapped up in this company's work? Should I even want that?
I know I'm being petty, and I hate it, but it's becoming harder to turn my mind to holy things. I need to pray.
Picked up the above saying sometime during my college years. After re-reading the chapter on Solitude this morning in Foster's Celebration of Discipline (which I'm going through with my bro), I felt compelled to turn off my CDs and radio for the half-hour drive to work. While I love and enjoy music and certainly won't be giving it up any time soon, it really is amazing to feel the ways your mind goes when it's not being occupied by something specific. I think I'm going to try silence in the morning more often.
Not after work though. My brain is so fried that I need music to keep me sane.
This has been a difficult work week. Release on Friday, been staying till nearly 11 each night so far while eating lunch and dinner at my desk. Coupled with some ill-remembered mild arm soreness, I've felt the stirrings of some old resentments from last year - why am I doing this? Is this worth it from a financial standpoint? An experiential standpoint? Why don't I care much, and would I care more if I had more of my desire and passion wrapped up in this company's work? Should I even want that?
I know I'm being petty, and I hate it, but it's becoming harder to turn my mind to holy things. I need to pray.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home