Thursday, February 05, 2004

Weekend recap

Opened a very active month of February with an enjoyable and much-needed weekend after a long week at work last week. I calculated it out and figured that I worked for 63 hours, since I ate lunch and dinner at my desk each day and went home close to 11 pm most of the week. More than that though, it was working under the stress of a deadline and the knowledge that I was the one with the primary responsibilities for the deadline that made for a very wearying time.

It's a bit late, but here's a recap for the weekend:

Saturday

One of the most challenging and enjoyable parts of leading congregational worship is song selection. It's a lot of work, but a lot of fun to look for songs that have a continuous theme, or stringing together sections from different parts based on a lyrical/thematic/musical transition. Sometimes, the Holy Spirit will lead you to a particularly meaningful song or songs that hammer home a particular Biblical truth. This past week, after having a particularly difficult time at work, I felt that God needed to reinforce for me an important lesson on a personal level - how to praise Him even when I don't feel like it. We sang the hymn "It is Well With My Soul", written by a man who saw more hardship in a week than I've ever seen in my lifetime, and segued from the last "It is well with my soul" into the bridge of the new-ish Matt Redman song, "Blessed Be Your Name" - "You give and take away / You give and take away / My heart will choose to say / Lord, blessed be Your name." Personally meaningful moment.

In the evening, helped Jeremy L move into the apartment he's going to share with his bride-to-be in a few months, then headed over to Andrea's for a dumpling-making party. Memorable moments/quotes: dumpling surprises (tomato, empty, stuff a peel inside another peel), all the guys drooling over the new iPod, warm apple pie, "They're on a hot date", "Did you know that this PDA records video?"

Sunday

During service, Pastor Dan challenged us to consider what aspects of sin in our lives could be affecting not just ourselves, but the overall health of the church. We then had a time to come before the cross in silence and confess. Combined with the worship time (songs mentioned above) and a bit lighter load this week, I've found it easier to focus my mind on holy things.

Super Bowl... who expected that the game would be as entertaining as it was? It's true that the first and third quarters were rather uninteresting, as both offenses couldn't get anything going, and to compound the issue, the commercials were uninspired. But, once Delhomme and Brady got their rhythm going, the whole thing turned into a shootout. It got to the point where you expected the offense to score, and it would become a matter of who had the ball last.

Incidentally, I missed the controversial halftime incident as I had to log onto work during halftime and a portion of the 3rd quarter. It'll only be a matter of time before "wardrobe malfunction" becomes an entirely overplayed punchline everywhere you turn.

This month: deacons' retreat this weekend, WCC, and a Tahoe trip. I think I better try and get as much sleep during the week as I can since the weekends will be packed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home