Ramblings
- Saw The Passion of the Christ last Wednesday with a couple of coworkers. While I do think that some people in the church may have lost a little bit of perspective gushing over the movie and Mel Gibson, it has at the very least made the person and story of Jesus Christ a relevant one in today's culture. The movie doesn't tell the whole story of the Son of God, but has appeared to make a visceral impact on both Christian and non-Christian viewers. Last night, our men's group had the opportunity to go to Mercado and pass out free books by John Piper about the Passion to moviegoers. Praise God, the response was generally pretty favorable - whether they have a genuine interest in Christ, or whether they just heard the word "free", people were generally willing to take a book and even chat for a bit with us about the movie. Here's hoping they actually read the books.
Personally, I wasn't particularly surprised or shocked by the movie, even though it was definitely powerful. My experience was akin to having an extended time of Communion. Each time that I read through the Passion account in the Bible, or we take the bread and the cup during a church service, I try to remember Christ and his experience in as much detail as possible - feeling the pain of the whip, nails, thorns and fists, enduring the insults and hatred from people, and being abandoned by his Father... it's so easy to gloss over those few verses.
- This past week, NASA released a few new photos taken from the Hubble Space Telescope that are absolutely breathtaking. Seeing these, I can't help but praise the One who put them in place.
10,000 galaxies can be seen in this picture, the "deepest"-ever look into the universe:
An expanding cloud around a star:
- Past weekend... Jeremy/Mandy's wedding, Karen's dessert birthday hangout (I want a free Taylor 510!!), church, WCC followup meeting, hoops. Weather was gorgeous.
- Current CD: Love and Thunder, Andrew Peterson. Memorable lyric so far: The work of our hands is the salt of the earth / The music we make is the light of the world... / Let there be light, let there be love, let there be music - "Let There Be Light"
- Saw The Passion of the Christ last Wednesday with a couple of coworkers. While I do think that some people in the church may have lost a little bit of perspective gushing over the movie and Mel Gibson, it has at the very least made the person and story of Jesus Christ a relevant one in today's culture. The movie doesn't tell the whole story of the Son of God, but has appeared to make a visceral impact on both Christian and non-Christian viewers. Last night, our men's group had the opportunity to go to Mercado and pass out free books by John Piper about the Passion to moviegoers. Praise God, the response was generally pretty favorable - whether they have a genuine interest in Christ, or whether they just heard the word "free", people were generally willing to take a book and even chat for a bit with us about the movie. Here's hoping they actually read the books.
Personally, I wasn't particularly surprised or shocked by the movie, even though it was definitely powerful. My experience was akin to having an extended time of Communion. Each time that I read through the Passion account in the Bible, or we take the bread and the cup during a church service, I try to remember Christ and his experience in as much detail as possible - feeling the pain of the whip, nails, thorns and fists, enduring the insults and hatred from people, and being abandoned by his Father... it's so easy to gloss over those few verses.
- This past week, NASA released a few new photos taken from the Hubble Space Telescope that are absolutely breathtaking. Seeing these, I can't help but praise the One who put them in place.
10,000 galaxies can be seen in this picture, the "deepest"-ever look into the universe:
An expanding cloud around a star:
- Past weekend... Jeremy/Mandy's wedding, Karen's dessert birthday hangout (I want a free Taylor 510!!), church, WCC followup meeting, hoops. Weather was gorgeous.
- Current CD: Love and Thunder, Andrew Peterson. Memorable lyric so far: The work of our hands is the salt of the earth / The music we make is the light of the world... / Let there be light, let there be love, let there be music - "Let There Be Light"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home