Quick WCC recap
Went to WCC this past weekend in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I'm usually not terribly enthusiastic about most conferences; however, this is one that I heartily recommend as it provides an excellent balance of teaching, life-applicable challenges, prayer, worship, and fellowship. Taken from the website: "The World Christian Conference (WCC) is a conference to encourage believers in their efforts to become strategically involved in God’s plan of making disciples of all nations. WCC addresses practical issues of integrating the World Christian vision into the life of the believer."
I initially wasn't planning to go, as my church has gone through a video series by the plenary speaker before (Bob Sjogren from Unveilinglory) and I thought that it would likely be most of the same material rehashed again. However, considering the mental and spiritual state that I'm in (see previous post) and seeing that this year's conference would focus on helping conferees take "next steps", I felt that it would be a good idea to go. While some of the teaching was in fact similar to what I had learned before, it was still challenging, and also had opportunities to meet and learn from others who are living out God's current purpose for them in the world. Here are a couple of memorable items / new lessons / significant challenges:
- How well do believers know the Biblical truth that being in heaven with God is infinitely better than whatever this life can offer? If we do understand this, how willing are we to play out our role in God's plan, even if it means being like Job's children, who died and were taken to heaven early so that Job could learn a lesson in faithfulness?
- How do we deal with the culture of self-centered "me-ology" (as opposed to theology) that has permeated the church? In other words, rather than asking "What can God do for me?" or "What can my church do for me?", can we teach believers to ask, "How can I live my life to bring maximum glory to God, no matter the sacrifice (job, family, lifestyle, country)?"
- To be a good steward of the time, resources, and money that God has given, He wants us to use it to bless others so that His name might be known.
- Just because you believe God has called you to something doesn't mean that He doesn't have the prerogative to change that calling. God calls everyone to respond when He directs, even if you're already going something else. Personally, this has challenged me to consider going overseas for a short-term missions trip whereas before I always felt that I'd more likely minister in the inner-city of America.
- Inspiring time at the inner-city ministry workshop hearing stories of God working through brothers and sisters in house churches to transform inner-city neighborhoods. Reawakened previous dreams of working with the poor on a regular basis (perhaps in some sort of rehab program) and/or being part of a church plant.
- The Asian Christian world is a small one. In my small group alone, had a former missions teammate of my college roomie, a bio teacher from my high school alma mater that apparently works with the bio teacher I had (do you call high school an "alma mater" or is it just college?), and a college friend of some friends from Canaan. We had some lively discussions. The worship leader knew Dave Chian from the old-school Canaan days.
- New songs:
Fairest Lord Jesus and Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee (what can I say, I like the redone hymns)
Sing to the King
There is a Louder Shout To Come
Went to WCC this past weekend in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I'm usually not terribly enthusiastic about most conferences; however, this is one that I heartily recommend as it provides an excellent balance of teaching, life-applicable challenges, prayer, worship, and fellowship. Taken from the website: "The World Christian Conference (WCC) is a conference to encourage believers in their efforts to become strategically involved in God’s plan of making disciples of all nations. WCC addresses practical issues of integrating the World Christian vision into the life of the believer."
I initially wasn't planning to go, as my church has gone through a video series by the plenary speaker before (Bob Sjogren from Unveilinglory) and I thought that it would likely be most of the same material rehashed again. However, considering the mental and spiritual state that I'm in (see previous post) and seeing that this year's conference would focus on helping conferees take "next steps", I felt that it would be a good idea to go. While some of the teaching was in fact similar to what I had learned before, it was still challenging, and also had opportunities to meet and learn from others who are living out God's current purpose for them in the world. Here are a couple of memorable items / new lessons / significant challenges:
- How well do believers know the Biblical truth that being in heaven with God is infinitely better than whatever this life can offer? If we do understand this, how willing are we to play out our role in God's plan, even if it means being like Job's children, who died and were taken to heaven early so that Job could learn a lesson in faithfulness?
- How do we deal with the culture of self-centered "me-ology" (as opposed to theology) that has permeated the church? In other words, rather than asking "What can God do for me?" or "What can my church do for me?", can we teach believers to ask, "How can I live my life to bring maximum glory to God, no matter the sacrifice (job, family, lifestyle, country)?"
- To be a good steward of the time, resources, and money that God has given, He wants us to use it to bless others so that His name might be known.
- Just because you believe God has called you to something doesn't mean that He doesn't have the prerogative to change that calling. God calls everyone to respond when He directs, even if you're already going something else. Personally, this has challenged me to consider going overseas for a short-term missions trip whereas before I always felt that I'd more likely minister in the inner-city of America.
- Inspiring time at the inner-city ministry workshop hearing stories of God working through brothers and sisters in house churches to transform inner-city neighborhoods. Reawakened previous dreams of working with the poor on a regular basis (perhaps in some sort of rehab program) and/or being part of a church plant.
- The Asian Christian world is a small one. In my small group alone, had a former missions teammate of my college roomie, a bio teacher from my high school alma mater that apparently works with the bio teacher I had (do you call high school an "alma mater" or is it just college?), and a college friend of some friends from Canaan. We had some lively discussions. The worship leader knew Dave Chian from the old-school Canaan days.
- New songs:
Fairest Lord Jesus and Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee (what can I say, I like the redone hymns)
Sing to the King
There is a Louder Shout To Come

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home