Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Weekend update

Working on a longer post about some of the ideas I've been pondering regarding politics and the recent election, but for now here's a quick update of the past few days...

Overheard at the family dinner table: "Bob, since you're such a slow eater, you better make sure you marry someone who likes to talk, because otherwise she'll be really bored waiting for you to finish your dinner every night."

Last Friday, the company had an afternoon-evening celebration for the upcoming holidays (since December is going to be high-pressure for sales guys, we did it early). In the afternoon, we hit up LeMans kart racing in Fremont - 3 heats of 8 people each. I'd been to the one in Santa Clara with men's group once before, so I kinda new what to expect from the karts. I'm usually not a very aggressive driver, but I suspect driving the G35 for a year has helped me get accustomed to higher-speed turns and I turned in the 4th fastest lap time of the day at 24.92... sure, it's not that impressive compared to the 21.x and 22.x scores I understand some of the guys in men's group were putting up, but I was pretty happy with beating 90% of my colleagues.

In the evening, we had a nice dinner at Arthur's Restaurant in Santa Clara. We had the top floor to ourselves, and since there was a stage there, the organizers good-naturedly browbeat a number of employees to participate in a "talent show." I was one of 6 acts or so that included a capoeira (Brazilian martial art) demonstration, some DJ mixing, a native Indian percussion/vocal song, a Chinese choir/karaoke, and a Chinese flute. I busted out the overplayed-a-decade-ago Green Day song "Time of Your Life," tuned down a few steps for my singing range, which people apparently enjoyed as they voted my performance best of the evening. For my effort, I received a gift basket of random stuff I'll probably never eat (crackers, cheese, maybe even some cheap champagne, that sort of stuff), and was implored to do an encore. After doing some thinking, I sat down and played "Lead of Love" by Caedmon's Call, taking care to explain beforehand the context of my faith and why it's been important for me to look back on the events of my life from the perspective of a few years to really see God's hand moving and directing me. That was fun.

Saturday evening, a bunch of us took Walter out for his bachelor party. The dude was crazily enthusiastic about what we made him do. At some points, it felt like we needed to rein him in a little bit.

Sunday was a long day of church-related stuff... pre-service worship practice, service, teaching Sunday School, Angklung (traditional Southeast Asian instrument) practice for Christmas Eve service, consistory meeting, and youth counselor meeting. Started at around 8 am and got home around 6 pm, with no afternoon basketball to break up the meetings. Ah well.

I can't believe it's mid-November...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home