Friday, November 05, 2004

Odds and ends...

One of the ways I motivate myself to post after a dry spell is to forbid myself from reading other people's blogs until I write one of my own. I haven't read anyone's blogs for a few days now, so if anyone posted earth-shattering news, I missed out. Ah well.

Heard a good thought on the radio driving to work Wednesday after the election... basically said that even though he had voted for Kerry and didn't feel that Bush was competent enough to lead the nation for another four years, he was actually getting calls from bitter people wanting Bush to fail miserably just so they could say they were right. He said, no matter your political leanings, you can't argue that it was a hard-fought and fair campaign, there was a clear winner, and Bush is now our leader again for four years - so it'd be stupid to want him to fail just to satisfy petty vindictiveness, since this is our country we're talking about here. I'm glad that it seems most people are at least speaking of healing and reconciliation and moving forward. Bush and his administration have a lot of work to do in this country and with other countries. Here's hoping he learns from past mistakes and makes wiser decisions moving forward. This election was enjoyably intellectually challenging the last few months since it made me consider some questions like, "What should the role of government be?" and "At what point does a personal moral value become a corporate moral value?"

This is my company's first week at our new location right behind Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale, which means that I'm driving Lawrence Expressway for my commute. I wonder if there's any way to convert Lawrence into a freeway... expressways, with constant acceleration-to and braking-from 50 mph, is murder on gas mileage.

KG had two crazy blocks during crunch time in last night's televised game against the Nuggets, both one-handed pins against the glass that he then collected and outletted as if nothing special had happened. His level of intensity and focus is much more admirable and fun to watch than Kenyon Martin's grandstanding and playing to the crowd that he seemed to engage in every five minutes.

My fantasy teams as currently constructed:
Canaan league (8 teams)
Guards: Marbury, Redd, Hinrich, Ginobili
Forwards/Centers: Kirilenko, Brand, Ratliff, Bosh, Ginobili, Harrington, Dunleavy, G. Hill
Comments: Though I don't think I have a very good team in our small league, I do enjoy the fact that there are a fair number of players that I like on my team so I never have to face the fantasy dilemma of having to root for someone I despise.

Cal league (12 teams)
Guards: Alston, E. Jones, Hinrich, Redd, S. Jackson
Forwards/Centers: Artest, Swift, Gooden, Ilgaukas, Nowitzki, G. Hill, Blount
Comments: I was pretty pleased with my draft. I was able to pick up some good sleepers with the last few picks (Alston, Swift), despite a relatively large league, due to the fact that only half the managers were there for the online draft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home