Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Taking the GRE on Thursday, so not gonna write a whole lot here... I did take both today and tomorrow off for studying and some application research. I'll elaborate more on the grad school stuff later... Admittedly, it's kinda fun getting back into study mode, quizzing myself on problems and memorizing words and such. 'Course, I find that I also fall back into old procrastinating habits too. Some things don't change without a lot of hard work.

Possibly course-altering discovery of the day: whereas I was originally intending to apply solely to Masters programs, it may be that most schools target their PhD program at people like me who don't have prior graduate school training. So the original 2-year plan may turn into 5 years. Further research and prayer needed.

The Red Sox may be thisclose to breaking the curse, or setting themselves up for the worst application of the curse in sports history.

I am way behind in prepping for the two (count'em, two!) fantasy basketball drafts I have this upcoming weekend. S'okay though... just can't wait for the NBA to get going.

While reading the newspaper today, I saw like six ads for Lasik. I've always kicked around the idea of eventually having surgery to correct my horrendously bad eyesight, but I wonder if the risk is worth it. It would be stupendous to not have to live with glasses or contacts on all the time, but if there are unforeseen side effects (like the loss of night vision earlier in life, for example) then I dunno...

The last month or so, I've been dealing with an on-again, off-again rash/skin irritation that's been showing up on the right side of my face. I finally got it checked out by my family physician today, and the current hypothesis is that it's something stress-induced (from the horrid work schedule of about a month ago) and it should eventually take care of itself. In the meantime though, I've learned that I can be surprisingly self-conscious. It's gotten to the point where I will sometimes avoid eye contact with people because it's an uncomfortable feeling to see their eyes shift focus from my eyes to my face, trying to figure out what's going on. I'm trying to keep a good humor about it though. Thus far I've used two facetious explanations for the "What happened to your face?" question I've been getting: "I got in a fight with a guy - if you think I look bad, just imagine what he looks like!" and "I've got leprosy. Stay away! Stay away!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home