Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The profoundly spiritual in the seemingly mundane

This is way late, but here are some notes, quotes, and thoughts that went through my head while Pastor Tim preached on two Sundays ago from Romans 12:1-2 (verses I'm familiar with) and Isaiah 54:2-3 (which I thought might have been a typo while I was preparing the bulletin).

Some phrases and challenges I enjoyed:
- "Worship is the contextualized lordship of Christ wherever you are - redeeming the profoundly secular to the profoundly spiritual."
- "Jesus must be applied to every corner of life and the world to be relevant."
- In the beginning, Genesis 1-2, there is no mention of altar worship, but there is plenty of mention about work.
- Why is it that when presented with the question of, "How's your worship life?" we automatically think of 1) corporate worship times in church, at a retreat or conference, etc., or 2) in personal devotions/quiet times? Why can't we have a heightened spiritual experience of God in our workplace, in our family, and in the very business of life?

When preaching on Romans 12:2 ("Do not conform to the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..."), Pastor Tim made the point that the primary trap the world can use to ensnare believers is the concept of rationalization - specifically referring to "giving reasons to what seems to be right but is actually wrong." He then went on to essentially say that the ends rarely, and most likely never, justify the means.

This got me thinking - do the ends ever justify the means?

I think that based on what Scripture reveals about the nature of God, He appears to be concerned primarily with our means than with any ends we might come up with. Are we living lives of integrity? Do we make right choices that honor Him? Several times through Scripture, God basically tells His people, "I'll take care of the ends. Just obey my commands."

However, God is also a God of redemption, one who can redeem bad means to good ends. Sometimes, because of our finite human minds and sinful nature, a decision may not seem clearly right or wrong - and at that time, after prayer, counsel, and discussion, we need to go forth in faith and trust that God can redeem any situation. I don't envy those in public office who appear to be tempted constantly to use bad means under the guise of a pursuit of good ends, particularly in a nation and culture where we appear to place a higher premium on results rather than character. In this, it is comforting to know that God wants us, warts and all, and He is using His means to bring about the ends - transforming a willing people into the likeness of Christ. He's not done with us yet.

If I give my life, if I lay it down / Can You turn this life around, around / Can I be made clean by this offering of my soul / Can I be made whole again - "Whole Again", Jennifer Knapp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home