Wednesday, September 29, 2004

So weary... and it's only Tuesday. Well, Wednesday, now, I suppose...

Weekend in LA

While the rest of my coworkers were in the office during the weekend, I was given special leeway to spend the weekend in LA for Ted/Anna's wedding. Good time to see the violinists tie the knot, as well as catch up with some old friends who've transplanted down there and newer ones from the area. Special props to Reni and Maurice for hosting a bunch of us and showing us all the good Hawaiian places to eat, and to Danny for forcing me to study some Sunday afternoon in a freezing cold Starbuck's and driving me to the airport.

At Reni and Maurice's, I managed to read through the trade paperbacks of the Batman comic series "Hush" with Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee... brought back memories of when I was a mild fan of Lee's work in X-Men and WildC.A.T.S. We also watched the Chinese version of "Hero", which had slightly different subtitles - I actually preferred the translation of Jet Li's last line in the American version, where instead of saying (spoiler, click and drag) Maybe someone who knows Mandarin can give me the clearest English translation.

During the wedding, I realized something about myself while I hung back as my friends headed out to the dance floor. I don't know whether this is something springing out of another aspect of my personality or not, but I think I am a habitual analyst/critic. I enjoy observing things I see, hear, and otherwise sense, with a great deal of emphasis on learning, understanding, and appreciating the experience. For example, I typically enjoy music because I can appreciate the poignancy of lyrics, the complexity of rhythms, the intricacy of instrumentals, etc. as opposed to a more nebulous "It sounds good" or "It moves me." That might shed some light as to why I've never really enjoyed "club" type dancing, with its emphasis on fun through spontaneity, since it's something that I don't "know". On the other hand, I'd probably enjoy ballroom or swing dancing more because there is a structure that can be built upon.

Other fun stuff

Came across this quote from The Sports Guy's latest column, referring to the fourth of the most important life lessons he's learned: "The fourth lesson came from my Aunt Jen, who taught me, 'If you're interested in a girl, always meet her Mom because all girls end up eventually turning into their Moms, with no exceptions.' We may need to have Bill James figure out a formula for that one." Is that true?

Check out this link to discover your rap star name, rock star name, pop star name, or country star name. Mine (based on full name / first name):
Rap: Cool Hill / Jam Daddy
Pop: Chad Iglesias / Jordan Carter
Rock: Cal Idol / Kane Cage
Country: Butch Dunn / Jeb Boggs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home