Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Celebrated entry into the late twenties by playing a whole lot of sports this past weekend - by my count, a total of 9 hours:

On Saturday, at the Canaan Sports Day, played hoops in the morning (along with old high school buddy Tunhow - he's still got mad skills), bbq lunch, then played softball from 1:30-4:30 or so. First time playing softball in quite a while... 'twas a lot of fun. The most interesting positions to play: pitcher, first base, third base, shortstop, rover, left field. I was left field, made one running catch and basically just tried to not let anything go by me. After showering, went out with the parents for dinner at Sushi Kitscho (corner of Wolfe and Stevens Creek) - the sashimi quality was pretty good, but their spicy tuna roll and hamachi kama (grilled yellowtail cheek) was excellent. I thought about doing something at night after dinner, but the weariness from a day of physical activity and the various responsibilities at church the next day, along with the prospect of watching the Heat-Pistons game on DVR, conspired to keep me at home.

On Sunday, pulled triple duty at church (leading worship, teaching Sunday School, leading missions training), then hoops from 2:30 to 6:15. Sign of aging: a few weeks ago, I tweaked my left knee playing defense when I stopped and planted laterally. Ever since then, after a few hours of athletic activity, if I stop moving or stretching, the knee will stiffen up and become quite painful to move. This week, it took me until this morning (two full days) for the soreness to go away. I really miss my physical prime. At least I think I'm smarter now.

Kinda scary to think that when my parents were my age, they already had me. I tried imagining what it would be like living my current life with a wife and kid. Yikes... honestly, I still have so much growing up I need to do.

Continuing on this topic, came across this article today - "Is 40 the new 30?" In short, it takes the "big picture" approach that aging should be measured not by how many years you've lived, but how many more you expect to live. Since the quality of healthcare has helped raise the average life expectancy, this would affect "A lot of our skills, our education, our savings and the way we deal with our health care depend a great deal on how many years we have to live."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home