Thursday, August 25, 2005

Mishmash

Mishmash

The last few weeks have been a blur. Aside from post-processing Mexico (still have a few posts coming!), I've also had to pack up my belongings from the last 5 years and move to a new duplex in Mountain View, get caught up with work missed during the Mexico trip, and also to do some work in advance for the Spain vacation I'll be going on in a week and a half.

Fortunately, I'll have the opportunity to hopefully slow down a bit this weekend at our church's annual summer retreat (a bit late this year). A theme that has been repeating itself more and more in my recent life that I want to ponder - at this stage of my life, I think I've shown that I can be pretty capable in a lot of capacities. What I need now is vision, and the assertiveness to follow through on that vision.

I'm not yet fully moved into the new place yet, but Hanlin has transferred over and I helped Chris unload this afternoon. In the evening, we prayed for our lives together as roommates and that God might be able to use the house to draw others closer to Him. We then spent the rest of the night assembling and rearranging furniture, and cleaning the kitchen (including measuring and cutting the cupboard liner). I'll probably move in for good after the retreat is over.

Last Saturday, after moving most of my furniture (much thanks to the Canaan folks who dropped by with willing heart and hands to do all the heavy lifting... I, uh, was "directing") I was catching up with Danny online. Within the span of our 2.5 hr chat, I found out about JLau and Mel's engagement, Christina and Nate's engagement, and that Pam and Andy are expecting. Combined with my move, it was quite a day for life changes. In fact, it was so overwhelming that Danny said:

[08:39:30 PM] Danny: i feel like i need to make an announcement of some kind
[08:39:38 PM] Danny: bob, i've won the lottery

Congratulations to the new couples and expecting families!

As a followup to my Jan. 2003 post about marriage advice, here's some more awesome advice from the people who know the best - little kids.

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY?

"You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming." Alan, age 10

"No person really decides before they grow up who they're going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you're stuck with." Kirsten, age 10

WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?

"Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then." Camille, age 10

"No age is good to get married at. You got to be a fool to get married." Freddie, age 6

HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?

"Married people usually look happy to talk to other people." Eddie, age 6

"You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids." Errick, age 8

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?

"Both don't want no more kids." Lori, age 8

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?

"I'd run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns." Craig, age 9

WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?

"The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn't want to mess with that." Curt, age 7

"The rule goes like this: if you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It's the right thing to do." Howard, age 8

HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?

"Tell your wife that she looks pretty even if she looks like a truck." Ricky, age 10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home