Sunday, October 09, 2005

Facts tag

Tag! Random facts

Things you may or may not know about me...

1) My driver's license stats (from when I was 16) read 5'9", 135 lbs. In a decade, the only thing that's changed is that I've gained a little over 10 lbs. I was relatively tall in my early high school days, but then I completely stopped growing.

2) I have 3 fake teeth and a faded scar on my left forearm where my bone broke the skin. This all happened within 3 months during the Little League baseball season in 6th grade, where I got hit in the face with a baseball, and snapped both bones in my arm when I slipped on concrete and landed on my gloved left hand. In addition, I used to turn my ankle about once every 3 weeks at school playing basketball, and was constantly getting scraped up. I was quite the little package of physical accidents.

3) In junior high, I wrote for the school "paper" in the sports section, and wrote a column about Magic Johnson's retirement that got submitted to and printed in the San Jose Mercury News.

4) I acquired the "blind" adjective/nickname in junior high school when I broke my glasses playing basketball at recess, and had to go the rest of the day not being able to see anything. My friends called me "Blind Bob," which morphed into "Blindman," and basically stuck. Incidentally, my eyesight prescription is 7.5/8.0 (not as bad as some people I know).

5) My favorite cartoons growing up were Robotech, GI Joe, and Transformers. My favorite characters in each were Roy Fokker, Snake-Eyes, and Sideswipe (the red Lamborghini with a jet pack), respectively. Incidentally, this article gives some details about a 2007 live-action Transformers movie, which just sounds like a bad idea, but it is being executive produced by Steven Spielberg, which gives me hope.

6) In high school, I began parting my hair from left to right, which I kept until mid-college, when I swapped it to a right-to-left part. My friends like to make fun of me for this, thinking that this is my perception of a wild and crazy experiment with my look. I ended up with my current short-and-straightforward haircut in late college because (no joke) I was getting annoyed with my parted hair blowing in the jetstream when I ran back laterally on defense when playing basketball.

7) I was (am?) a huge Star Wars fanboy. I got back into it with the Zahn novels in the early '90s, and ended up joining a fan club on Compuserve (ah, good old dialup days) where we'd have discussions like whether using the Force in a space dogfight would be considered cheating. I also joined an online gaming "squadron" for the computer flight sim "X-wing vs. TIE FIghter," eventually rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and heading up the squadron, which meant that I needed to read and approve applications from gamers who wanted to join the club. I'm not as much into the universe as I used to be with the mediocre quality of the prequel movies, but for a while my Lord of the Rings fanboy-ism was getting up to similar levels.

8) My entire wardrobe consists of shades of white, black, gray, green, khaki, and blue. Yes, adventurous I am.

9) Perhaps my favorite relaxing activity in the entire world is biking in Yosemite Valley. During high school and early college, my family and other families would go to Yosemite every 4th of July weekend where we'd always have one strenuous hike and then one day of just chilling. On the second day I'd always go biking for a few hours, taking the opportunity to think, take some pictures, get some exercise in fresh air, marvel at the views, and talk to God.

10) My recent vacation to Spain was my first trip off the North American continent in nearly 20 years. Before Spain, I hadn't flown over an ocean since going to Taiwan when I was around 8, though I've been to Canada and Mexico, as well as around the U.S. some. Growing up, my family favored national parks as vacation spots, which, when I was young, I considered boring, but as I grew older I became more and more appreciative of these parks.

11) Even though I went to church in high school, it wasn't until college when I finally accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. Part of this process of eventually coming to faith was due to wrestling with a question posed (to God) in my favorite song of all time, "Worlds Apart" by Jars of Clay: "When all's said and done, I stand alone / Amongst remains of a life I should not own / It takes all I am to believe / In the mercy that covers me / Did You really have to die for me?" My second favorite song is "If I Stand" by Rich Mullins, primarily for the chorus lyric, and in particular the last line: "If I stand, let me stand on the promise that You will pull me through / But if I can't, let me fall on the grace that first brought me to You / If I sing, let me sing for the joy that has borne in me these songs / And if I weep, let it be as a man who is longing for his home." This world is not my home.

12) In college, I got into Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) and listened to it almost exclusively for a few years. Since then, my musical tastes have broadened into different musical styles and artists, partly because I've become a better judge of musical quality (and just as in mainstream music, there is some lousy music in CCM), and partly because I beginning to agree with Bono's quote when he said: "The best music is written by those who are running to God or running away from God."

13) I have kept a written journal since the beginning of college, and I've kept this blog for nearly 3.5 years. I tend to prefer the written word as a form of expression, through reading or writing, over pictures. With my journals/blogs, I've found that even if I record the mundane events of my life at the time, there have been instances where I look back and I see these events in a new light.

14) I tend to be more of a "tidy" person than a "clean" person. That is to say, I'll put things away and arrange things so that they're neat, but less often will I do vacuuming / wiping the floors / disinfecting appliances and the like. I guess you could say I'm a superficial cleaner.

15) I have received two driving tickets in my lifetime. One was in high school when I rear-ended someone who stopped abruptly in front of me just as I was checking over my shoulder to see whether an ambulance siren was behind me. The second was in senior year of college when I came out of the Grapevine too fast and zoomed right by a sneaky patrol officer.

16) I have stood up for a few hours and sung solo / played guitar with my case open in a New York subway station and on a walkway in Central Park. Both were during my 2-month missions trip in NYC in 2000, and the case had some tracts and a sign saying, "Please take a booklet." A few people actually stopped to listen for a while.

17) I have never been in a dating relationship. I have been shot down, I have had to shoot down, and I've also been regrettably gun-shy. The most valuable, treasured, and practical life lesson I've learned from all of this is how to desire happiness and joy for someone else, even if I'm not part of it. On a similar topic, I've been set up by my relatives and I had a crush on the same girl from 4th grade through junior high.

18) Personality tests usually make me out to be either an INTJ (most of the time) or an ISTJ. So, basically I'm a very moderately expressed intuitive or sensing personality while the other 3 are more concrete. I think that I have aspects of both personality types as described in the linked descriptions - I tend to value integrity and honesty while having a difficult time saying "no" (ISTJ), and I enjoy observing the world / big picture for applying useful concepts, while at the same time being a reluctant leader (INTJ).

19) Ever since hearing the intro to "Liquid," the first song on Jars of Clay's debut album in 1995, I've wanted to learn how to play the mandolin. Thing is, it's more of an accompanying instrument suited to fills and harmony lines as opposed to being a lead worshipper's primary instrument, so I probably won't get the chance to do this until some more leaders step up.

20) I don't read or watch as wide a variety of good books/movies/TV as I'd like, but I enjoy re-reading/watching things to understand nuance and catch things I haven't seen before, like clever word phrasing or a particular camera angle. This has enabled me to build up a decent amount of random trivia garnered from both fiction and non-fiction books/visual media, and I often quote TV shows (Simpsons, Friends, Seinfeld mostly) in response to real-life situations.

I could go on, but you're probably pretty bored by now. If you're reading this, and you have a blog, and you haven't posted 20 random facts about yourself, then TAG! Do it and leave a comment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home