Weekend recap
Weekend recap
This past weekend was a pleasant one. Nothing too earth-shattering in the way of events or insights or realizations, but plenty of rest, and stimulating conversation with good friends. Often, that's something my personality just enjoys more - I tend to prefer good conversation over "outings."
Andrea and Joy hosted a brunch for a bunch of folks on Saturday. Over delicious homemade pancakes and probably-unhealthy portions of super-tasty Japanese sausage from Nigi-ya, we had a long, meandering conversation covering topics such as:
- food and foodie subculture, like the right times to go to specialty markets to avoid rude Russian woman shoppers
- house remodeling, as several of our parents have recently done work on the houses we grew up in, ranging from kitchen-only to re-doing the entire interior to adding a wing to the house
- movies to see, including an artsy one about the last two weeks of Hitler's life whose name is escaping me at the moment, as well as the big-screen adaptation of "The Producers," which led to a discussion on...
- musicals, such as Rent and Les Miserables
- a comment on Bill Gates' charity work led to an explanation of why Microsoft is often disliked in the technical community (the way my coworker put it - "They consider legal costs part of the development project") and a brief history of the company's shrewd business manuevers (Office) and when they may have crossed the line of honorable business practice (Windows/IE), which led to...
- an explanation of the concept of open source software, and some banter singing the praises of Firefox
Andrea also pulled out a new scale which not only measures weight, but also your body fat percentage, which it calculates after you enter in your age, height, and gender. Surprisingly, I appear to have lost weight ever since leaving for Spain. I'm currently at about 143 pounds with 15% body fat, which is apparently smack dab in the middle of healthy according to this website and this one. However, this one says that the ideal percentage for basketball players is 6%-12%. Guess I have some work to do then. Or, maybe I should just concentrate on cardio.
In the evening, Reni, her husband Maurice, and their adorable baby Beth came up to visit their uncle Chris at our place. A bunch of old-school Canaan folks came over, where we got to ask about parenting life and also trade stories about missions (grilling poisonous insects, dropping car keys down an outhole and going in to fish it out) and church traditions (different baptism methods, funny communion stories such as people swigging down an entire goblet of juice).
On Sunday, Canaan celebrated its 25th anniversary, and then I had my first fantasy hoops draft of the season. Here's my team, with an occasional comment of what I was thinking - I had the 3rd pick in a 12-team league:
1. LeBron James (I was fortunate to have LBJ drop to me at #3 due to another person picking Marion first... it'll be fun rooting for him all year)
2. Ray Allen (sweetest J in the game, averaging 4 threes so far)
3. Elton Brand (almost went with Ben Wallace at this point)
4. Andre Miller (something of a stretch, but the best PG and source of assists left on the board)
5. Carmelo Anthony (good value pick in the 5th round)
6. Andrew Bogut (sticking with my Utah roots)
7. Tyson Chandler (mini-Camby)
8. Luke Ridnour (bolstering assists)
9. James Jones (ought to provide the bulk of 3s alongside Allen)
10. Darius Miles (it's all about the weed)
11. Joel Pryzbilla (should have taken Delonte West at this spot, Pryzbilla probably would have been available in the 12th)
12. JR Smith (potential pick, but also possible waiver material)
I like my team overall, perhaps a bit weak in the big man categories, but the main weakness is that I have 3 pairs of teammates. In a weekly change league, that can create too much dependence on the schedule.
As of tonight (Monday night), I'm caught up on Lost.
This past weekend was a pleasant one. Nothing too earth-shattering in the way of events or insights or realizations, but plenty of rest, and stimulating conversation with good friends. Often, that's something my personality just enjoys more - I tend to prefer good conversation over "outings."
Andrea and Joy hosted a brunch for a bunch of folks on Saturday. Over delicious homemade pancakes and probably-unhealthy portions of super-tasty Japanese sausage from Nigi-ya, we had a long, meandering conversation covering topics such as:
- food and foodie subculture, like the right times to go to specialty markets to avoid rude Russian woman shoppers
- house remodeling, as several of our parents have recently done work on the houses we grew up in, ranging from kitchen-only to re-doing the entire interior to adding a wing to the house
- movies to see, including an artsy one about the last two weeks of Hitler's life whose name is escaping me at the moment, as well as the big-screen adaptation of "The Producers," which led to a discussion on...
- musicals, such as Rent and Les Miserables
- a comment on Bill Gates' charity work led to an explanation of why Microsoft is often disliked in the technical community (the way my coworker put it - "They consider legal costs part of the development project") and a brief history of the company's shrewd business manuevers (Office) and when they may have crossed the line of honorable business practice (Windows/IE), which led to...
- an explanation of the concept of open source software, and some banter singing the praises of Firefox
Andrea also pulled out a new scale which not only measures weight, but also your body fat percentage, which it calculates after you enter in your age, height, and gender. Surprisingly, I appear to have lost weight ever since leaving for Spain. I'm currently at about 143 pounds with 15% body fat, which is apparently smack dab in the middle of healthy according to this website and this one. However, this one says that the ideal percentage for basketball players is 6%-12%. Guess I have some work to do then. Or, maybe I should just concentrate on cardio.
In the evening, Reni, her husband Maurice, and their adorable baby Beth came up to visit their uncle Chris at our place. A bunch of old-school Canaan folks came over, where we got to ask about parenting life and also trade stories about missions (grilling poisonous insects, dropping car keys down an outhole and going in to fish it out) and church traditions (different baptism methods, funny communion stories such as people swigging down an entire goblet of juice).
On Sunday, Canaan celebrated its 25th anniversary, and then I had my first fantasy hoops draft of the season. Here's my team, with an occasional comment of what I was thinking - I had the 3rd pick in a 12-team league:
1. LeBron James (I was fortunate to have LBJ drop to me at #3 due to another person picking Marion first... it'll be fun rooting for him all year)
2. Ray Allen (sweetest J in the game, averaging 4 threes so far)
3. Elton Brand (almost went with Ben Wallace at this point)
4. Andre Miller (something of a stretch, but the best PG and source of assists left on the board)
5. Carmelo Anthony (good value pick in the 5th round)
6. Andrew Bogut (sticking with my Utah roots)
7. Tyson Chandler (mini-Camby)
8. Luke Ridnour (bolstering assists)
9. James Jones (ought to provide the bulk of 3s alongside Allen)
10. Darius Miles (it's all about the weed)
11. Joel Pryzbilla (should have taken Delonte West at this spot, Pryzbilla probably would have been available in the 12th)
12. JR Smith (potential pick, but also possible waiver material)
I like my team overall, perhaps a bit weak in the big man categories, but the main weakness is that I have 3 pairs of teammates. In a weekly change league, that can create too much dependence on the schedule.
As of tonight (Monday night), I'm caught up on Lost.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home