One thing that has been something of a running joke with me over the past year has been asking the question, "How old do I look?" to people that I just meet.
One high-school-age friend of a youth in my youth group thought I was 29. She then guessed that George was 23. Swap those numbers and you've got us pegged (well, at the time at least).
Until fairly recently, most of the youth group thought I was older than Luwen, our youth group director, who's been married for a few years. Apparently, I look 27 and she looks 26 or 25. She's actually 28 (I believe) and I'm 24.
At Drew and Vicky's wedding 3 months ago, George introduced me to a friend of his who then guessed I was 32 years old. That one has to take the cake so far. I've told that story enough that people now call me "32" as a nickname.
I think driving a Volvo 850 wagon adds 10 years to my life...
Just as a tidbit for this particular "age" question. When someone (particularly a girl) asks that question, you're immediately treading on thin ice... guess too young and they're offended that they look like a high schooler, guess too old and they're offended that they look like a parent. My current working theory is that you should always guess that a person is 25 years of age. You really can't go wrong. If someone looks awfully young, you guess that they're 25, and you'll usually either be right, or they'll be a high schooler who wants to look older... because it seems that most high schoolers want to leave the "kiddie" stage behind. If they look older, then they'll typically be pretty happy that they look like a mid-twenties person. You can't go wrong with 25!
One high-school-age friend of a youth in my youth group thought I was 29. She then guessed that George was 23. Swap those numbers and you've got us pegged (well, at the time at least).
Until fairly recently, most of the youth group thought I was older than Luwen, our youth group director, who's been married for a few years. Apparently, I look 27 and she looks 26 or 25. She's actually 28 (I believe) and I'm 24.
At Drew and Vicky's wedding 3 months ago, George introduced me to a friend of his who then guessed I was 32 years old. That one has to take the cake so far. I've told that story enough that people now call me "32" as a nickname.
I think driving a Volvo 850 wagon adds 10 years to my life...
Just as a tidbit for this particular "age" question. When someone (particularly a girl) asks that question, you're immediately treading on thin ice... guess too young and they're offended that they look like a high schooler, guess too old and they're offended that they look like a parent. My current working theory is that you should always guess that a person is 25 years of age. You really can't go wrong. If someone looks awfully young, you guess that they're 25, and you'll usually either be right, or they'll be a high schooler who wants to look older... because it seems that most high schoolers want to leave the "kiddie" stage behind. If they look older, then they'll typically be pretty happy that they look like a mid-twenties person. You can't go wrong with 25!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home