Weekend recap for 12/21-12/22
- Friday night had a game night with the youth group. Alice T did a great job organizing games, which included tournament-style paper-rock-scissors, a poetry-writing contest, a wordsearch on books of the Bible, a skit contest, and a huge game of what was essentially "Go Fish." The poetry contest was very creative, as each team had to write poems on topics like, "The hairdresser's journal", "The ice cream man's nightmare" and so on so forth... quite amusing. We've saved the winning poems and posted them up on a corkboard for future generations.
- Saturday, had praise band practice in the morning, dim sum with family for lunch, then in the afternoon/evening headed up to Oakland with a few friends to the Gaskell Ball. Basically, this is a 4-times-a-year event which is a reenactment of a dance from Victorian times. Dances include the waltz, the polka, the mazurka, the schottich, and the Congress of Vienna, as well as a few other set pieces. We went up in the late afternoon for the lesson, had dinner in Chinatown, then went back for the ball itself. It was actually a lot of fun - I don't think I've seen so many tuxedos since Senior Prom. Also, a lot of people were decked out in full Victorian wear with floofy (I almost never get to say "floofy" in a blog!) hoop skirts, fans, masks, a couple of old-school military uniforms...
I think practicing the footwork and getting the rhythm of a dance down will help me play basketball. Yeah, that's it.
Gonna jot down some notes about the dances to remind myself how to do things in the future:
guide hand over spinal cord/small of back
waltz - 3/4 time, ONE-two-three two-TWO-three THREE-two-three four-TWO-three, zigzag across imaginary straight line
mazurka - stamp-hop-hop waltz
polka - 4/4 time, almost like the triple step from West (or East?) Coast swing, switch directions
galop - heel-toe-heel-toe slide slide slide slide, reverse
Congress of Vienna - open-close steps, 4-10-4-10-8-8/right window/left window/behind the back left/behind the back right/left window
- Sunday, church, then played basketball for the first time in several weeks in the afternoon. I was disappointed to find out that my time off from hoops (due to rain) didn't appear to help my knee ligament heal much - after a few games, I was limping and running rather stiffly, and I could feel the soreness and burning quite acutely. I'm debating whether to see a doctor. Despite that though, I played better than I expected after a few weeks off. Hit a couple of jumpers and had a couple of nice passes of pick-and-rolls.
At night, went to JT and Walter's place to celebrate JT's 29th birthday, where we had an intensely competitive game of team-charades. Hardest ones I had to act out: "innocent/guilty" and "Al Capone".
- Friday night had a game night with the youth group. Alice T did a great job organizing games, which included tournament-style paper-rock-scissors, a poetry-writing contest, a wordsearch on books of the Bible, a skit contest, and a huge game of what was essentially "Go Fish." The poetry contest was very creative, as each team had to write poems on topics like, "The hairdresser's journal", "The ice cream man's nightmare" and so on so forth... quite amusing. We've saved the winning poems and posted them up on a corkboard for future generations.
- Saturday, had praise band practice in the morning, dim sum with family for lunch, then in the afternoon/evening headed up to Oakland with a few friends to the Gaskell Ball. Basically, this is a 4-times-a-year event which is a reenactment of a dance from Victorian times. Dances include the waltz, the polka, the mazurka, the schottich, and the Congress of Vienna, as well as a few other set pieces. We went up in the late afternoon for the lesson, had dinner in Chinatown, then went back for the ball itself. It was actually a lot of fun - I don't think I've seen so many tuxedos since Senior Prom. Also, a lot of people were decked out in full Victorian wear with floofy (I almost never get to say "floofy" in a blog!) hoop skirts, fans, masks, a couple of old-school military uniforms...
I think practicing the footwork and getting the rhythm of a dance down will help me play basketball. Yeah, that's it.
Gonna jot down some notes about the dances to remind myself how to do things in the future:
guide hand over spinal cord/small of back
waltz - 3/4 time, ONE-two-three two-TWO-three THREE-two-three four-TWO-three, zigzag across imaginary straight line
mazurka - stamp-hop-hop waltz
polka - 4/4 time, almost like the triple step from West (or East?) Coast swing, switch directions
galop - heel-toe-heel-toe slide slide slide slide, reverse
Congress of Vienna - open-close steps, 4-10-4-10-8-8/right window/left window/behind the back left/behind the back right/left window
- Sunday, church, then played basketball for the first time in several weeks in the afternoon. I was disappointed to find out that my time off from hoops (due to rain) didn't appear to help my knee ligament heal much - after a few games, I was limping and running rather stiffly, and I could feel the soreness and burning quite acutely. I'm debating whether to see a doctor. Despite that though, I played better than I expected after a few weeks off. Hit a couple of jumpers and had a couple of nice passes of pick-and-rolls.
At night, went to JT and Walter's place to celebrate JT's 29th birthday, where we had an intensely competitive game of team-charades. Hardest ones I had to act out: "innocent/guilty" and "Al Capone".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home