Thanksgiving Weekend Recap
Thanksgiving Day
- Turkey Bowl (recap below), afterwards a bunch of us grabbed some drinks at Tapioca Express and discussed how Eric owes a few people dinner. Tentative plans were made to visit House of Prime Rib sometime in January.
- Washed cars in the afternoon, then had a turkey-less dinner with my mom and my bro. We had sashimi. We finished like 3 packs of salmon, one of hamachi, and a 9 oz. unagi... quite a bit of fish. Those are my 3 favorites, incidentally.
- on Friday, went shopping with my bro in the afternoon, then at church that night the young adults group was hosting a post-Thanksgiving potluck - several folks invited coworkers and friends in the area who were away from family, which was cool. I also stopped by the praise night organized by some of the returned college freshmen - 'twas very cool, I think the youth enjoyed the worship time. Richard and the other frosh did a good job of organizing. I tried a bit of percussion on the conga drum/shaker/tambourine... not easy to do more than one of those at a time, I've found.
- Saturday, a bunch of us went over to Joy's for a "discount turkey dinner." Apparently she got (uncooked) a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and a pumpkin pie for a total of $15, and there were several folks who hadn't had turkey for Thanksgiving, so she and George prepped dinner. Good stuff... afterward we played "Apples to Apples", where you basically attempt to match a "noun/object" card with the leader's adjective card - for example, if the leader draws a card that says, "memorable", then you have to frantically search through your cards for something that's memorable, like "The Challenger explosion." The leader then chooses which card best exemplifies that adjective. It's fun because you can get into other people's heads, and figure out what they'd be more likely to pick. We also cracked up when George drew "exciting" as an adjective and Byron threw out a card with "My Body" as the noun. Muahahaha.
- Sunday after church, I went to my first deacons meeting, to meet with the folks I'll be serving with this year, and to begin to discuss which areas we feel God is leading us to step up in. Exciting times...
- Sunday night, went over to Byron's place to watch "Lord of the Rings: Special Edition" on DVD. I'm pretty sure that anyone reading this blog has seen the movie, but for those of you that haven't seen the special edition, I felt that they should have left in the scenes that they cut out. I think it'd have made for a more faithful translation from the book.
My two favorite scenes (both from near the end of the movie):
1) After Aragorn tells Frodo to go off on his own to Mordor, he draws his sword and comes around a rock outcropping to see 40+ super-orcs. Everything's in slow motion, the music is amping up for the big final battle scene, and he raises his sword in front of his eyes, almost like a salute. Very samurai-like. Great scene.
2) The second memorable one is basically just for the coolness factor... in Aragorn's final duel with the head super-orc, the latter throws a dagger at him that he knocks out of the air with a sword like he's fouling off a foul ball. He does this from his knees. Sweet...
Thanksgiving Day
- Turkey Bowl (recap below), afterwards a bunch of us grabbed some drinks at Tapioca Express and discussed how Eric owes a few people dinner. Tentative plans were made to visit House of Prime Rib sometime in January.
- Washed cars in the afternoon, then had a turkey-less dinner with my mom and my bro. We had sashimi. We finished like 3 packs of salmon, one of hamachi, and a 9 oz. unagi... quite a bit of fish. Those are my 3 favorites, incidentally.
- on Friday, went shopping with my bro in the afternoon, then at church that night the young adults group was hosting a post-Thanksgiving potluck - several folks invited coworkers and friends in the area who were away from family, which was cool. I also stopped by the praise night organized by some of the returned college freshmen - 'twas very cool, I think the youth enjoyed the worship time. Richard and the other frosh did a good job of organizing. I tried a bit of percussion on the conga drum/shaker/tambourine... not easy to do more than one of those at a time, I've found.
- Saturday, a bunch of us went over to Joy's for a "discount turkey dinner." Apparently she got (uncooked) a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and a pumpkin pie for a total of $15, and there were several folks who hadn't had turkey for Thanksgiving, so she and George prepped dinner. Good stuff... afterward we played "Apples to Apples", where you basically attempt to match a "noun/object" card with the leader's adjective card - for example, if the leader draws a card that says, "memorable", then you have to frantically search through your cards for something that's memorable, like "The Challenger explosion." The leader then chooses which card best exemplifies that adjective. It's fun because you can get into other people's heads, and figure out what they'd be more likely to pick. We also cracked up when George drew "exciting" as an adjective and Byron threw out a card with "My Body" as the noun. Muahahaha.
- Sunday after church, I went to my first deacons meeting, to meet with the folks I'll be serving with this year, and to begin to discuss which areas we feel God is leading us to step up in. Exciting times...
- Sunday night, went over to Byron's place to watch "Lord of the Rings: Special Edition" on DVD. I'm pretty sure that anyone reading this blog has seen the movie, but for those of you that haven't seen the special edition, I felt that they should have left in the scenes that they cut out. I think it'd have made for a more faithful translation from the book.
My two favorite scenes (both from near the end of the movie):
1) After Aragorn tells Frodo to go off on his own to Mordor, he draws his sword and comes around a rock outcropping to see 40+ super-orcs. Everything's in slow motion, the music is amping up for the big final battle scene, and he raises his sword in front of his eyes, almost like a salute. Very samurai-like. Great scene.
2) The second memorable one is basically just for the coolness factor... in Aragorn's final duel with the head super-orc, the latter throws a dagger at him that he knocks out of the air with a sword like he's fouling off a foul ball. He does this from his knees. Sweet...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home