So, this past Sunday, I was elected as one of the deacons at my church.
From 1 Timothy 3:8-13
Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons. In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything. A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well. Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
That's a lot to strive for. The challenges God has for me keep piling on. Just as I was starting to get a handle on my new responsibilities at work, now there's more to occupy my thoughts. If I continue the surfing analogy from last week, I think I've only begun to stand up on the board... but now I'm seeing some big waves in front of me. The question is how to get to the crest... I get the feeling that I'm just going to need to put my head down and dive in.
From another song that just came to mind:
DIVE
Rom. 11:33-36; Eph. 3:16-19
CHORUS:
I'm diving in
I'm going deep
In over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush
Lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go
The river’s deep
The river’s wide
The river’s water is alive
So sink or swim I'm diving in
Words and music by Steven Curtis Chapman, ©1999 Sparrow Song/Peach Hill Songs
Sink or swim, this is gonna be fun...
From 1 Timothy 3:8-13
Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons. In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything. A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well. Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
That's a lot to strive for. The challenges God has for me keep piling on. Just as I was starting to get a handle on my new responsibilities at work, now there's more to occupy my thoughts. If I continue the surfing analogy from last week, I think I've only begun to stand up on the board... but now I'm seeing some big waves in front of me. The question is how to get to the crest... I get the feeling that I'm just going to need to put my head down and dive in.
From another song that just came to mind:
DIVE
Rom. 11:33-36; Eph. 3:16-19
CHORUS:
I'm diving in
I'm going deep
In over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush
Lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go
The river’s deep
The river’s wide
The river’s water is alive
So sink or swim I'm diving in
Words and music by Steven Curtis Chapman, ©1999 Sparrow Song/Peach Hill Songs
Sink or swim, this is gonna be fun...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home