Monday, December 09, 2002

Weekend recap

- Saturday, we celebrated the wedding of Jamie and Mimi. For those of you who know them, you can check out some of the pics that George took at http://www.pbase.com/geohsia/jamie_and_mimi. Good stuff.

Random funny memories from the wedding:
- Faith (Hubert and Debbie's 1.5-year old girl) running around in her red-and-white dress
- Zach (Faith's older brother) as the ringbearer, coming down the aisle with a huge smirk on his face and cracking everyone in the sanctuary up
- when I heard "ringbearer" I immediately thought, "Frodo". Am I a geek?
- as part of Pastor Dan's encouragement to the couple, he asked all the married couples in the sanctuary to stand, face each other, and basically go through a whole new set of vows
- at the reception... we got a platter of quail, which looked like miniature Cornish game hens, in other words, really small. Each one was maybe the size of my fist. There are a couple of pictures at the link above. One has Andrew Ng sticking an entire quail into his mouth... that was indescribably funny. Towards the end of the wedding, we inevitably played with our leftover food, using an uneaten quail, a fish eye, and some red sauce to create this mutant hand.
- the skit depicting the couple's courtship was also indescribably funny. I think you had to be there to experience the facial expressions, the tones of voice, and even some goofy dancing.
- Jamie's an excellent singer, and serenaded Mimi at the reception. I don't know if I'd have the guts to do that...
- towards the end of the night, people went out onto the dance floor. The DJ played songs from the early 90s, circa jr high and high school... such classics as "Everybody Dance Now", "Good Vibrations", "Jump Around"... haha... was neat to see some people you wouldn't expect out on the dance floor tearing it up.

Good times...

- Sunday after church, I had a jam-packed afternoon of meetings... at 1:30 pm I had my first consistory meeting, consisting of the Taiwanese and English elders and deacons, plus our two pastors. I must say, it's interesting to see the behind-the-scenes workings of how the local church works... kinda reminded me of the old leadership meetings in AACF, multiplied by 2 or 3 times of people, and liberally throwing in the Taiwanese language everywhere.

I think it's pretty eye-opening to consider all of the things that go with coordinating the activities of a church. Till now I've mainly been involved with "principles" - teaching and learning eternal truths that are taught in Scripture. There'll be a lot to learn this year from folks who have been involved with the church for a while, people who can give counsel on ways that we can be more effective and relevant as a force for change in our communities - how we can be impacting the world with Jesus' life-changing message. I'll try to chronicle as many lessons as I can here.

- Sunday evening, had youth counselors' meeting and then the youth parents took us out to an appreciation dinner at Tomokazu, a pretty classy Japanese restaurant. Had everything from sashimi to hand rolls to tempura to what appeared to be asparagus wrapped in bacon (!). Good stuff... thanks to the parents... we felt very appreciated :).

The holidays are here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home