Monday, January 20, 2003

Ramblings

Apologies for the paucity of posts lately. Right now is an extremely busy season in my life, with things at work fairly stressful (being the team lead of QA while your company is trying to get a product to shipping status will do that), and then when I leave work, there's a lot of planning and praying to do for the various ministries I'm involved in. So, there's not a whole lot of time to rest and just veg... I'm always looking ahead.

If you're wondering why I just used the word "paucity" in a sentence, one of my New Year's goals is to take the GRE this year. So, might as well start getting used to the vocabulary...

Hey, on that note, here are some other of my New Year's goals off the top of my head:

- research the biotech field. I'd like to explore whether my gifts could be put to good use in this field. I can write all about my whole attitude towards work/purpose in another post (I haven't done that yet, have I?), but in general, I think that there are three important parts in considering what we spend our time with, career-speaking: 1) You enjoy what you do. 2) You have some talent, gift or skill at what you do. 3) You believe the work you do is important. Personally, I can say #1 and #2 about my current job. #3, I'm not so sure about yet. Plus, there's no reason not to explore different avenues. I'll expand some other time...

- listen to more classical music. I've raided my parents' stash of CDs and brought them to work, so right now I'm listening to Beethoven rather than my usual diet of pop/rock. Maybe it'll make me smarter. Don't think I'll ever be a classical music guru, but this is good stuff.

- be more informed of world issues. It's sad, I know almost everything that goes on in the world of sports, but I didn't follow local and global events regularly - so Yahoo! News and CNN.com have become part of daily reading.

- learn to play golf competently enough to get out on a course with my dad and my bro and enjoy it. I occasionally head over to the net-enclosed range at West Valley to practice. This'd be a fun way to spend time with them.

- a couple of spiritual goals that I might detail in another post.

- (kinda far-fetched) learn to play the hammered dulcimer. The sound is totally unique and very cool. 'Course, I'd need to get one first, and then figure out how to learn to play it. Heheh...

Other ramblings...

- It was good to see some of the old Berkeley gang two Saturdays ago when we got together up in Danville at Pam and Andy's place. Some of those folks I haven't really talked to since we graduated, even though I saw many of them at various weddings. Interestingly, most people haven't changed a whole lot, but apparently I shocked some people when I told them I never finished my intended Computer Science minor at Berkeley. I had too many units and needed one more class :(. Ah well. Look where I am now.

- My opinion about stop-and-go traffic: when there are many cars on the freeway, slowing down is inevitable and even preferred, for safety's sake. However, when you come to a complete stop anywhere on the freeway, that means some inconsiderate person is holding up the lane somewhere up the road, probably trying to cut in and thus causing people to brake hard to avoid rear-ending him. This annoys me greatly on a near-daily basis as I drive on 85N trying to get onto 237E. Be considerate and switch over to the on-ramp lane early on so you don't hold up everyone else later.

Coming up in future posts... some lessons I learned in 2002.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home