Quick update
Last Weekend (6/14-6/15)
Saturday, slept in, then made my Berkeley-famous egg quesadillas (I've come to the conclusion that my original moniker for them, "egg tacos", was erroneous) for my mom and dad when they got back from their morning hike. For those of you that are curious... take an egg, begin frying one side, add onions/bell peppers/whatever else you like into the cooking egg, cover with a tortilla. After allowing it to cook for a bit, flip the tortilla+egg over so the tortilla can crisp on the pan, turn off the heat, add cheddar cheese, fold in half. Serves 1. In college, a typical lunch for me would consist of one of these and a homemade smoothie.
That afternoon, went to the beach at Half Moon Bay with Canaan and MVCCC folks. Had a good time there with a sandcastle building contest (I was part of the team that created a barfing turtle... unfortunately, we lost out on the "creativity" award to a remarkably real-looking man-eating alligator), some worship, food, and just enjoying the scenery.
That night, watched Finding Nemo. Very clever flick. As always, great computer animation, and a witty script that pays attention to detail (for example, dolphins can only "talk" while above the water, while fish talk below it). With all that said... you'd think that trying to imitate a whale's sounds would get old really quick, but somehow it was funny.
Side note... on Sunday, after playing ball with PDan, Hubert, James, and Ed, they began talking about their kids... Hubert mentioned that he'd had the best Father's Day ever when he took his son Zach (I forget how old he is... 4?) to see Finding Nemo, complete with Coke, popcorn, talking about the whole father-son thing afterward, then going to get some ice cream... heartwarming.
For Father's Day, vacuumed the house and had dinner with the family, then sat down that night with Dad to watch the NBA season end as Tim Duncan (my favorite player) nearly put up a quadruple double (21, 20, 10, 8) and David Robinson (my favorite person who's an athlete) ended his career with "the highest of highs" (in his words). Here's a link to an article about the Admiral's legacy in San Antonio, and how most people will remember him more for his life off the court than his play on it. Something in particular that I admire: 12 years ago, he promised a fifth grade class at an inner-city school in San Antonio that if they graduated from high school, he'd provide each one with an $8000 scholarship to college. Several students benefited from this and when he showed up at their graduations, he got the idea to begin a school for underprivileged kids. Today, he's spent $9 million of his own money as well as energy raising money for the Carver Academy, which is in full swing. It's just so cool to see someone who has been given so much, using his gifts in such a responsible and God-honoring way. One kinda interesting factoid from the article is that Robinson's home church pastor is none other than Max Lucado.
Now that the NBA season is over, it'll take me some time to get into the swing of things with the baseball season. I know that my Giants are hanging on to a thin lead over the hated Dodgers as of this writing.
Random
Current CD: Much Afraid, Jars of Clay. Fits me quite well right now... I'll write a bit more about this in a following post.
Current TV: 24, Season 1. Finally began watching my bro's Season 1 DVD. Just seen the one episode so far. Pretty good.
Computer: So far, the Dell is working out pretty well. Right now, I'm keeping it at work during the work week so that I have another screen to reference stuff off the internet (like Perl documentation) while I do the bulk of my work on my primary machine. I'm still getting used to Windows XP. I think I prefer 2000...
Last Weekend (6/14-6/15)
Saturday, slept in, then made my Berkeley-famous egg quesadillas (I've come to the conclusion that my original moniker for them, "egg tacos", was erroneous) for my mom and dad when they got back from their morning hike. For those of you that are curious... take an egg, begin frying one side, add onions/bell peppers/whatever else you like into the cooking egg, cover with a tortilla. After allowing it to cook for a bit, flip the tortilla+egg over so the tortilla can crisp on the pan, turn off the heat, add cheddar cheese, fold in half. Serves 1. In college, a typical lunch for me would consist of one of these and a homemade smoothie.
That afternoon, went to the beach at Half Moon Bay with Canaan and MVCCC folks. Had a good time there with a sandcastle building contest (I was part of the team that created a barfing turtle... unfortunately, we lost out on the "creativity" award to a remarkably real-looking man-eating alligator), some worship, food, and just enjoying the scenery.
That night, watched Finding Nemo. Very clever flick. As always, great computer animation, and a witty script that pays attention to detail (for example, dolphins can only "talk" while above the water, while fish talk below it). With all that said... you'd think that trying to imitate a whale's sounds would get old really quick, but somehow it was funny.
Side note... on Sunday, after playing ball with PDan, Hubert, James, and Ed, they began talking about their kids... Hubert mentioned that he'd had the best Father's Day ever when he took his son Zach (I forget how old he is... 4?) to see Finding Nemo, complete with Coke, popcorn, talking about the whole father-son thing afterward, then going to get some ice cream... heartwarming.
For Father's Day, vacuumed the house and had dinner with the family, then sat down that night with Dad to watch the NBA season end as Tim Duncan (my favorite player) nearly put up a quadruple double (21, 20, 10, 8) and David Robinson (my favorite person who's an athlete) ended his career with "the highest of highs" (in his words). Here's a link to an article about the Admiral's legacy in San Antonio, and how most people will remember him more for his life off the court than his play on it. Something in particular that I admire: 12 years ago, he promised a fifth grade class at an inner-city school in San Antonio that if they graduated from high school, he'd provide each one with an $8000 scholarship to college. Several students benefited from this and when he showed up at their graduations, he got the idea to begin a school for underprivileged kids. Today, he's spent $9 million of his own money as well as energy raising money for the Carver Academy, which is in full swing. It's just so cool to see someone who has been given so much, using his gifts in such a responsible and God-honoring way. One kinda interesting factoid from the article is that Robinson's home church pastor is none other than Max Lucado.
Now that the NBA season is over, it'll take me some time to get into the swing of things with the baseball season. I know that my Giants are hanging on to a thin lead over the hated Dodgers as of this writing.
Random
Current CD: Much Afraid, Jars of Clay. Fits me quite well right now... I'll write a bit more about this in a following post.
Current TV: 24, Season 1. Finally began watching my bro's Season 1 DVD. Just seen the one episode so far. Pretty good.
Computer: So far, the Dell is working out pretty well. Right now, I'm keeping it at work during the work week so that I have another screen to reference stuff off the internet (like Perl documentation) while I do the bulk of my work on my primary machine. I'm still getting used to Windows XP. I think I prefer 2000...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home