Hoops! and other meanderings
I played ball on Sunday! :-)
First time in like a month. Boy, it felt good to get back out there running, cutting, jumping... I tried to minimize the use of my hands so I cut down on dribbling and shooting, and concentrated on blocking shots and back-cutting for layups. Had a pretty good shot-blocking game. I think I'm gonna try to play at least once every other week, and take it relatively easy on the arms... so less dribbling/shooting. Still nice to be back, even in a limited way.
Got a fair amount of exercise this weekend overall - Sat afternoon my bro came back from Berkeley and we went walking around the flea market, then went hiking with my parents in the evening. I was pleased to find out that despite my relative inactivity, I could still get up a fairly steep hill without losing my wind completely. In between squeezed in a few more chapters from LOTR... just finished Moria. Gotta admit, I'm getting a lot more from it now that I've seen the movie, because now I can identify lines/scenes that did and didn't show up in the cinematic version. Oh yeah, we celebrated my cousin's first birthday on Saturday - er, my cousin's kid. Does that still count as my cousin? In any case, cute kid.
Slamball premiered last night on TNN. It's actually kinda fun to watch. And who knew that Kobe's dad was a Slamball coach?
Went to see a physical therapist today about my RSI (repetitive stress injury, for the uninitiated). Since it typically flares up towards the end of the day/week, I wasn't showing many symptoms when she was examining me, so for today I just got some ultrasound and electroshock/heat treatments. The latter was unique - know the scene in "Dragon - the Bruce Lee Story" where the guy playing Bruce Lee has the electrodes strapped to his pecs and arms and they're convulsing, and he says, "This makes me do 300 pushups in 20 minutes!" or something like that? Same idea. My arms and wrists vibrated with electronic stimulus for about 15 mins under a heating pad, which really loosens things up in there. It's quite the interesting feeling to feel your muscles contracting involuntarily.
I played ball on Sunday! :-)
First time in like a month. Boy, it felt good to get back out there running, cutting, jumping... I tried to minimize the use of my hands so I cut down on dribbling and shooting, and concentrated on blocking shots and back-cutting for layups. Had a pretty good shot-blocking game. I think I'm gonna try to play at least once every other week, and take it relatively easy on the arms... so less dribbling/shooting. Still nice to be back, even in a limited way.
Got a fair amount of exercise this weekend overall - Sat afternoon my bro came back from Berkeley and we went walking around the flea market, then went hiking with my parents in the evening. I was pleased to find out that despite my relative inactivity, I could still get up a fairly steep hill without losing my wind completely. In between squeezed in a few more chapters from LOTR... just finished Moria. Gotta admit, I'm getting a lot more from it now that I've seen the movie, because now I can identify lines/scenes that did and didn't show up in the cinematic version. Oh yeah, we celebrated my cousin's first birthday on Saturday - er, my cousin's kid. Does that still count as my cousin? In any case, cute kid.
Slamball premiered last night on TNN. It's actually kinda fun to watch. And who knew that Kobe's dad was a Slamball coach?
Went to see a physical therapist today about my RSI (repetitive stress injury, for the uninitiated). Since it typically flares up towards the end of the day/week, I wasn't showing many symptoms when she was examining me, so for today I just got some ultrasound and electroshock/heat treatments. The latter was unique - know the scene in "Dragon - the Bruce Lee Story" where the guy playing Bruce Lee has the electrodes strapped to his pecs and arms and they're convulsing, and he says, "This makes me do 300 pushups in 20 minutes!" or something like that? Same idea. My arms and wrists vibrated with electronic stimulus for about 15 mins under a heating pad, which really loosens things up in there. It's quite the interesting feeling to feel your muscles contracting involuntarily.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home