Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Two stories from the weekend

1) I hate shopping.

On Saturday, with a free afternoon ahead of me, I attempted to run some errands and also browse for some clothes at Westgate Mall. Specifically, I was looking to purchase new basketball shoes (my current ones have a hole worn in the inner sole, giving me a blister every week), some cargo pants to replace some of the jeans I wear every day to work, and one or two ties to match my dress shirts (though I only wear ties to weddings, so maybe 4-5 times a year).

You know how they say that guys are good at going in and getting what they want? I failed miserably. Haha...

I almost never buy basketball shoes from a wide variety of choices - i.e., my last several pairs have come from clearance sales of discontinued models at Big 5 Sporting Goods. So, I didn't find anything good at Westgate. Cargo pants? I was paralyzed by price and avoided buying from Old Navy, after hearing from my bro that you could get better quality ones from Structure for cheaper if on sale. Ties? Man, there are a lot of ugly ties out there. Who in their right mind would design, let alone buy, gaudy ties with fluorescent colors and weird swirly patterns combined with criss-cross designs?

Lesson learned: as someone with zero aesthetic sense, just avoid buying clothing unless I have a good advisor like my bro around.

At least I got the loose screw in my cell phone fixed.

Man, I hate shopping.

2) The candor of family

Something I'm realizing as I grow older is that when dealing with extended family, as long as you keep a sense of humor about you, you can have a very amusing time. Particularly with Asian family, it's been my observation that they tend to be very... well, blunt...

On Sunday, three of my aunts on my dad's side came to visit for the afternoon, most of whom I hadn't seen in perhaps a year or two. I had just gotten home from playing basketball and was doing some pushups to complete the workout before showering, when they arrived. After the obligatory ni haos and "It's been a long time" in Mandarin, one of my aunts remarked that I looked more mature/manly than the last time she saw me, when I seemed more "wen". I asked my mom what that meant, and the explanation I got, I basically interpreted as, I used to be rather wussy. 'Course, my mom defined it as "genteel".

Then my bro came over to say hi, and one of the other aunts looked at him and yelped, "You're not as fat anymore!"

Hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home