Quick takes
Sorry about the lack of posts recently. Some more extended ruminations to come, but here are some quick hits...
One of the funnier things I've seen lately: Bear passes out after guzzling 36 cans of beer. I love the picture of the happily unconscious ursid (correct wording?) conked out with its head on its paws. Go Bears!
On the one hand, it is patriotically distressing to see Team USA struggle so much at the Olympics; on the other, maybe this will have a similar impact as the Pistons beating the Lakers in reminding basketball players and fans that it's about team play and not And1 individual talent.
Team USA members whose stock has risen in the Olympics: Duncan, Iverson, LeBron
Members whose stock has dropped precipitously thus far: Carmelo, Jefferson, Coach Brown
Somewhere in the last quarter of this year I need to: study for GRE, take GRE, get letters of rec, and apply to various grad schools. Unfortunately, I'm at work every day till 9-10 pm. Anyone who took the GRE have tips for things I can do at work, like websites with lists of words to memorize?
Currently listening to Eric Clapton's classic "Unplugged" album. I originally bought it for "Tears in Heaven" (still have to learn to play that), then let it sit collecting dust for a few years, and recently began listening to it again. That's the beauty of buying critically acclaimed albums - even if you don't get into them initially, pull them out after some time has passed and your musical maturity has grown... and it's like you have a brand-new album.
On compliments I've received...
Best compliment: "No matter what you do, I think you'll turn out okay." - Dad, while doing father-son hike to top of Half Dome ~soph year in college
Unexpected compliment: "One thing about Bob is that he's very teachable." - Ben T, at AACF 2000 end-of-year banquet
Weirdest compliment: "You know, you have really pretty hands." - Amy T, my NYC missions sub-team co-leader while riding on the subway
Sorry about the lack of posts recently. Some more extended ruminations to come, but here are some quick hits...
One of the funnier things I've seen lately: Bear passes out after guzzling 36 cans of beer. I love the picture of the happily unconscious ursid (correct wording?) conked out with its head on its paws. Go Bears!
On the one hand, it is patriotically distressing to see Team USA struggle so much at the Olympics; on the other, maybe this will have a similar impact as the Pistons beating the Lakers in reminding basketball players and fans that it's about team play and not And1 individual talent.
Team USA members whose stock has risen in the Olympics: Duncan, Iverson, LeBron
Members whose stock has dropped precipitously thus far: Carmelo, Jefferson, Coach Brown
Somewhere in the last quarter of this year I need to: study for GRE, take GRE, get letters of rec, and apply to various grad schools. Unfortunately, I'm at work every day till 9-10 pm. Anyone who took the GRE have tips for things I can do at work, like websites with lists of words to memorize?
Currently listening to Eric Clapton's classic "Unplugged" album. I originally bought it for "Tears in Heaven" (still have to learn to play that), then let it sit collecting dust for a few years, and recently began listening to it again. That's the beauty of buying critically acclaimed albums - even if you don't get into them initially, pull them out after some time has passed and your musical maturity has grown... and it's like you have a brand-new album.
On compliments I've received...
Best compliment: "No matter what you do, I think you'll turn out okay." - Dad, while doing father-son hike to top of Half Dome ~soph year in college
Unexpected compliment: "One thing about Bob is that he's very teachable." - Ben T, at AACF 2000 end-of-year banquet
Weirdest compliment: "You know, you have really pretty hands." - Amy T, my NYC missions sub-team co-leader while riding on the subway

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home