Random thoughts
Volunteered with a bunch of Canaan people at Second Harvest Food Bank in San Carlos, bright and early this past Saturday morning. Since most of the people in South Bay are working white-collar jobs where a computer and a desk are typically involved, it actually felt pretty good to do some manual labor lifting boxes, sorting through canned goods, and packing things away. Reminded me of some similar experiences back in NYC while on missions sorting through food at shelters, except that then it was much less sanitary since we were dealing with "fresh" food that was about to expire and we had to determine whether it was too moldy or slimy to use. Anyhow, at the end of our volunteering session, the coordinators told us that we set a record by exceeding the average daily processing of ~10K-11K lbs by 5K - we apparently packed 16K lbs of boxes. While they probably say that to every group of volunteers, it did feel like a worthwhile accomplishment.
Cal fans, go here to sign an online petition asking for accountability for the coach's poll, which many attribute as the primary reason why we got dropped from the Holiday Bowl. I like the fact that it acknowledges that Texas is also a worthy program and is not venting about that, but rather desiring accountability for the votes so that conference bias/collusion was not the reason for the drop.
On Christmas day, I may do something I've rarely done - root for Shaquille O'Neal's team. Has any athlete ever gone from likable to despicable in a faster time than Kobe Bryant? It's even been enough to make me favor Shaq over him.
Thanks for the sympathy regarding the mouse. It hasn't been returned, but most everyone in the company has asked me if I've had it returned yet. Having worked in close quarters with just about everyone over the past year and a half, I can't believe that it was someone regularly in the building who took it. It may have been a visitor or something. Ah well. I've been told the company will reimburse me for it, which is a nice gesture, since it was my personal mouse and not the company's. It wasn't a super nice mouse in the first place, but better than the stock Dell mouse they replaced it with.
Re: Gina's question below regarding "Aren't facts about people still facts, regardless of relation?", which I'm supposing was referring to my case example of a guy being able to rattle off an athlete's 1987 statistics but not remember his wife's birthday - yes, facts are still facts, but that doesn't necessarily mean a guy will be able to associate the fact with anything. I suspect that maybe a guy's brain pathway would look something like this:
"Hey, when's your wife's birthday?"
"June 23."
"And what day is today?"
"June 23."
[five minutes go by]
"Hey waitasec, today is my wife's birthday! I'm supposed to do something!"
On a similar note of guy-girl differences/relationships, I read something called the "50-50-90 rule" yesterday describing a situation where the guy has to make a decision for both him and his partner without the girl present and without her input. Apparently the rule is, "When you have a 50-50 chance of being right, you're going to be wrong 90 percent of the time.'' Is there a kernel of truth here?
Major props to my ex-roomie JSpoon for getting into pharmacy school. I got to see you up close working so hard on many different paths, so it's extremely gratifying to see things open up for you. Way to go!
Finally, my company will be shutting down after this Friday up through the New Year. That means I have 2 weeks off (3 days of paid holiday in there, I might use some PTO). Since they announced it just at the beginning of this week, I haven't made a whole lot of plans outside of finishing up some applications that have been hanging over my head. I know that the youth counselors will be taking some of the youth leaders up to SF on Monday, but outside of that, I've just been volunteering for random tasks like dropping off/picking up people at the airport. Maybe I'll see if Second Harvest needs some more manual labor. Any other suggestions?
Volunteered with a bunch of Canaan people at Second Harvest Food Bank in San Carlos, bright and early this past Saturday morning. Since most of the people in South Bay are working white-collar jobs where a computer and a desk are typically involved, it actually felt pretty good to do some manual labor lifting boxes, sorting through canned goods, and packing things away. Reminded me of some similar experiences back in NYC while on missions sorting through food at shelters, except that then it was much less sanitary since we were dealing with "fresh" food that was about to expire and we had to determine whether it was too moldy or slimy to use. Anyhow, at the end of our volunteering session, the coordinators told us that we set a record by exceeding the average daily processing of ~10K-11K lbs by 5K - we apparently packed 16K lbs of boxes. While they probably say that to every group of volunteers, it did feel like a worthwhile accomplishment.
Cal fans, go here to sign an online petition asking for accountability for the coach's poll, which many attribute as the primary reason why we got dropped from the Holiday Bowl. I like the fact that it acknowledges that Texas is also a worthy program and is not venting about that, but rather desiring accountability for the votes so that conference bias/collusion was not the reason for the drop.
On Christmas day, I may do something I've rarely done - root for Shaquille O'Neal's team. Has any athlete ever gone from likable to despicable in a faster time than Kobe Bryant? It's even been enough to make me favor Shaq over him.
Thanks for the sympathy regarding the mouse. It hasn't been returned, but most everyone in the company has asked me if I've had it returned yet. Having worked in close quarters with just about everyone over the past year and a half, I can't believe that it was someone regularly in the building who took it. It may have been a visitor or something. Ah well. I've been told the company will reimburse me for it, which is a nice gesture, since it was my personal mouse and not the company's. It wasn't a super nice mouse in the first place, but better than the stock Dell mouse they replaced it with.
Re: Gina's question below regarding "Aren't facts about people still facts, regardless of relation?", which I'm supposing was referring to my case example of a guy being able to rattle off an athlete's 1987 statistics but not remember his wife's birthday - yes, facts are still facts, but that doesn't necessarily mean a guy will be able to associate the fact with anything. I suspect that maybe a guy's brain pathway would look something like this:
"Hey, when's your wife's birthday?"
"June 23."
"And what day is today?"
"June 23."
[five minutes go by]
"Hey waitasec, today is my wife's birthday! I'm supposed to do something!"
On a similar note of guy-girl differences/relationships, I read something called the "50-50-90 rule" yesterday describing a situation where the guy has to make a decision for both him and his partner without the girl present and without her input. Apparently the rule is, "When you have a 50-50 chance of being right, you're going to be wrong 90 percent of the time.'' Is there a kernel of truth here?
Major props to my ex-roomie JSpoon for getting into pharmacy school. I got to see you up close working so hard on many different paths, so it's extremely gratifying to see things open up for you. Way to go!
Finally, my company will be shutting down after this Friday up through the New Year. That means I have 2 weeks off (3 days of paid holiday in there, I might use some PTO). Since they announced it just at the beginning of this week, I haven't made a whole lot of plans outside of finishing up some applications that have been hanging over my head. I know that the youth counselors will be taking some of the youth leaders up to SF on Monday, but outside of that, I've just been volunteering for random tasks like dropping off/picking up people at the airport. Maybe I'll see if Second Harvest needs some more manual labor. Any other suggestions?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home