Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Thanksgiving Recap

Recording a few memories from the long weekend for posterity's sake...

Turkey Bowl. On the first play from scrimmage, I attempted to reach back across my body for a pass that was behind me, when I felt my non-cleated feet fly out in front of me. This resulted in a high-speed collision between my upper body and the terrain, which gave me a minor case of whiplash in the small muscles of my neck that I was feeling for two days afterward. I suck at football.

Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey + hot pot. I introduced people to the wonders of cranberry sauce on white turkey meat. Mom actually made green bean casserole, a dish that's so down-home American that I never thought she would make it. The supplement of portobello mushrooms on top added a lot of flavor. Hot pot works better when you cook for yourself; if you have one person batch cooking for several people, inevitably some meat will get overcooked since the cook needs to eat sometime and can't monitor everything in the pot.

Most of my local relatives came over for Thanksgiving. My cousins have an adorable baby girl not quite 2 years old. She doesn't really know me, but she's scared of me - whenever she sees me, she goes and runs behind her mom's leg. There's nothing quite as demoralizing as being the guy who scares little babies.

Went up to Berkeley on Friday afternoon with JT, Mike, Joy, and Karen. Felt good to walk around the old stomping grounds and check out new construction. The new dorm buildings attached to Units 1 and 2 look pretty sweet. Reminisced with the other 3 Berkeley alumni about various favorite spots on campus and where various events occurred, like getting hit by a stray skateboard or where a backpack was stolen.

Ate dinner at The Blue Nile (Ethiopian cuisine) for the first time - pretty good stuff. That spongy bread really does expand when it gets to your stomach. Had to be careful I was blowing my nose on a paper napkin rather than a piece of bread, since you eat Ethiopian cuisine sans utensils and napkins. Afterwards, there was a failed attempt to catch a movie at Emeryville (boy, they really remodeled that area - it's very Santana-Row-ish now), so we walked around the shops for a while. They have Pottery Barn Kids now! Can you imagine spending $80 on a fake cash register for your kid to play with?

Afterwards, split some ice cream at Fenton's (so sad that the original diner feel is no longer there in the rebuilt location) and then hung out at Mike's place in Walnut Creek till 2 am watching Shaolin Soccer. You know you're in a bachelor pad when there's a weight bench in place of the dining table.

Saturday haircut. Apparently "Zero fade, top cut short" means different things to my regular barber and the one who cut my hair on Saturday. This time, the barber took it extremely literally and zero'd very high up on the side of my head, higher than my other barber does. I debated saying, "What the heck, shave it all off" but I refrained. But now my hair's short enough that my head's cold. Doesn't help that CA has been getting chillier. Maybe that combo resulted in me getting a cold. Well, I better recover soon since I have to lead worship at Walt's wedding this Saturday.

Sunday hoops. Had a couple of blocks on my man using my left hand, which felt pretty good - look at me, ma, I've got defensive fundamentals! On the other hand, my dribbling sucks. Several turnovers, and other situations where I had to abort drives because I was losing control of the ball. On one such occasion I finally gave in to frustration, grabbed the ball, and smoothly knocked down an 18-foot wing jumper. The lesson: don't dribble when you might as well shoot.

And that's my weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home