Weekend recap
Thoughts on game 2:
- Loved, absolutely loved, the two long bounce passes from Ginobili to Parker (from halfcourt) and from Parker to Ginobili (off the back cut). Those were gorgeous. The first half ball movement was wonderful in general.
- When did Robert Horry become 5 years younger? He's swiping steals, swooping to the basket for right- and left-handed layups, and playing his usual excellent defense both in the post and on the perimeter.
- Why is Ginobili having success against the Pistons team D, and the general stoppability that Prince possesses, where the more-talented Kobe couldn't do anything last year? I think it boils down to 2 subtle things:
1) Kobe's pride was his downfall - he couldn't accept that any defense could stop him and kept forcing drives and shots into the long arms of Prince and the Wallaces. Ginobili is much more willing to drive, draw the help defender, and kick to the open man.
2) Manu is left-handed. This is significant in the sense that since most players are right-handed, you generally learn to play D that direction, and in Prince's case as a left-hander, he actually has a slight advantage D'ing up on right-handers because his dominant hand is the one he'd use to challenge shots, and it's closer to the offensive player's shooting hand. To a defender, Manu would just be too confusing.
- Since Manu is clearly balding (despite the long locks), I wonder if he'll eventually shave his head? Now that would be a different look. Can you imagine a shaved head with that nose?
- Admittedly, the Spurs got the benefit of a few calls on the defensive end - there were several Pistons possessions where I would have sent them to the line for foul shots. However, the whining after every Pistons defensive foul has got to stop. Replays conclusively showed arms and heads getting whacked. Most of the fouls, the Spurs generated with their energy and aggressiveness.
- It's gotten to the point where I can identify offensive and defensive sets, where players are going to be on a particular possession, etc. DVR is particularly useful for this because I can rewind and pause on certain camera shots to study defensive positioning or offensive movement without the ball. I'm seriously thinking of burning this series to DVD for future education when I'm coaching hoops.
- The series gets much tougher in Detroit. The Pistons have too much talent to go quietly.
- I wonder if girls think Tony Parker is cuter than guys think Eva Longoria is hot?
To celebrate the beginning of summer vacation for the high schoolers, George and I went on an outing with the youth leaders yesterday. We started out at Malibu Grand Prix in Redwood City. Going around one-by-one on a track, even in relatively large cars, is not nearly as fun as go-karts where you can race your friends, passing them up and giving them little bumps in the process. We then headed up to the City where we walked through the Haight Street Fair (for the Berkeleyans, think Telegraph Avenue on Saturday afternoon, multiplied by 100 and fed anabolic steroids or "cream") and browsed used CDs at Amoeba Music. I ended up picking up a 3-pack of old-school Sixpence None the Richer - The Fatherless and the Widow, This Beauitful Mess, and Tickets for a Prayer Wheel for $8 - not bad at all.
We finished up the evening by dining at Memphis Minnie's, one of the top-rated "authentic" BBQ joints in the City. I haven't really had "real" BBQ from the south before - most of my rib-eating has been at places like Everett and Jones, or Tony Roma's - in other words, slathered in sauce. According to articles on this restaurant's website, sauce is for wussies. They specialize in smokey meat that slow-cooks over several hours (their brisket is the product of 18 hours of labor). Sauce is available on the table, but the owner prefers that people try the meat without sauce first to get the full impact of the flavor.
I ordered the two-meat combo ($15) with pork ribs and beef brisket, with cornbread, mac and cheese, and sweet potatoes (potatas) on the side. The sides weren't bad, nothing to write home about. The pork ribs, on first bite, seemed to be overcooked, based on my previously-developed taste for tender, sauce-marinated ribs with meat falling off the bone. These were not those. As I chewed though, I noticed a very pleasant, smoky flavor that blossomed after a few chews. The brisket was a real winner. Also with a rich smoky flavor, they were actually fork tender and very good. I also tried a piece of tri-tip, which was also excellent. This was my first experience with dry rub smoked bbq, and while I think at this point I still prefer juicier meat with sauce, that opinion could eventually change. If and when I get the chance to eat here again, I'll probably go for the brisket and tri-tip. I'm sure George will eventually have some pictures up.
Today's hypothetical and fantastical poll, for the working folks: Would you rather have the student-like 2 months off during the summer, or would you rather have 3-day weekends all year long?
Thoughts on game 2:
- Loved, absolutely loved, the two long bounce passes from Ginobili to Parker (from halfcourt) and from Parker to Ginobili (off the back cut). Those were gorgeous. The first half ball movement was wonderful in general.
- When did Robert Horry become 5 years younger? He's swiping steals, swooping to the basket for right- and left-handed layups, and playing his usual excellent defense both in the post and on the perimeter.
- Why is Ginobili having success against the Pistons team D, and the general stoppability that Prince possesses, where the more-talented Kobe couldn't do anything last year? I think it boils down to 2 subtle things:
1) Kobe's pride was his downfall - he couldn't accept that any defense could stop him and kept forcing drives and shots into the long arms of Prince and the Wallaces. Ginobili is much more willing to drive, draw the help defender, and kick to the open man.
2) Manu is left-handed. This is significant in the sense that since most players are right-handed, you generally learn to play D that direction, and in Prince's case as a left-hander, he actually has a slight advantage D'ing up on right-handers because his dominant hand is the one he'd use to challenge shots, and it's closer to the offensive player's shooting hand. To a defender, Manu would just be too confusing.
- Since Manu is clearly balding (despite the long locks), I wonder if he'll eventually shave his head? Now that would be a different look. Can you imagine a shaved head with that nose?
- Admittedly, the Spurs got the benefit of a few calls on the defensive end - there were several Pistons possessions where I would have sent them to the line for foul shots. However, the whining after every Pistons defensive foul has got to stop. Replays conclusively showed arms and heads getting whacked. Most of the fouls, the Spurs generated with their energy and aggressiveness.
- It's gotten to the point where I can identify offensive and defensive sets, where players are going to be on a particular possession, etc. DVR is particularly useful for this because I can rewind and pause on certain camera shots to study defensive positioning or offensive movement without the ball. I'm seriously thinking of burning this series to DVD for future education when I'm coaching hoops.
- The series gets much tougher in Detroit. The Pistons have too much talent to go quietly.
- I wonder if girls think Tony Parker is cuter than guys think Eva Longoria is hot?
To celebrate the beginning of summer vacation for the high schoolers, George and I went on an outing with the youth leaders yesterday. We started out at Malibu Grand Prix in Redwood City. Going around one-by-one on a track, even in relatively large cars, is not nearly as fun as go-karts where you can race your friends, passing them up and giving them little bumps in the process. We then headed up to the City where we walked through the Haight Street Fair (for the Berkeleyans, think Telegraph Avenue on Saturday afternoon, multiplied by 100 and fed anabolic steroids or "cream") and browsed used CDs at Amoeba Music. I ended up picking up a 3-pack of old-school Sixpence None the Richer - The Fatherless and the Widow, This Beauitful Mess, and Tickets for a Prayer Wheel for $8 - not bad at all.
We finished up the evening by dining at Memphis Minnie's, one of the top-rated "authentic" BBQ joints in the City. I haven't really had "real" BBQ from the south before - most of my rib-eating has been at places like Everett and Jones, or Tony Roma's - in other words, slathered in sauce. According to articles on this restaurant's website, sauce is for wussies. They specialize in smokey meat that slow-cooks over several hours (their brisket is the product of 18 hours of labor). Sauce is available on the table, but the owner prefers that people try the meat without sauce first to get the full impact of the flavor.
I ordered the two-meat combo ($15) with pork ribs and beef brisket, with cornbread, mac and cheese, and sweet potatoes (potatas) on the side. The sides weren't bad, nothing to write home about. The pork ribs, on first bite, seemed to be overcooked, based on my previously-developed taste for tender, sauce-marinated ribs with meat falling off the bone. These were not those. As I chewed though, I noticed a very pleasant, smoky flavor that blossomed after a few chews. The brisket was a real winner. Also with a rich smoky flavor, they were actually fork tender and very good. I also tried a piece of tri-tip, which was also excellent. This was my first experience with dry rub smoked bbq, and while I think at this point I still prefer juicier meat with sauce, that opinion could eventually change. If and when I get the chance to eat here again, I'll probably go for the brisket and tri-tip. I'm sure George will eventually have some pictures up.
Today's hypothetical and fantastical poll, for the working folks: Would you rather have the student-like 2 months off during the summer, or would you rather have 3-day weekends all year long?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home