Redrum
No beer and no TV make Homer something something
I had the chance to watch the quasi-classic Kubrick scare flick "The Shining" this past weekend at Mike P's place. Being an avid fan of The Simpsons, I'd already watched the animated parody of the movie, so I actually had some ideas of what the plot of the movie would turn out to be. Even though I don't usually go in for horror, I'd consider this movie to be more along the lines of "The Sixth Sense" in terms of portraying the supernatural influence on psyche and relying on suspense and tension rather than gore. From an artistic standpoint, there's a lot to admire about the movie:
- effective use of sound to evoke ambiance, rather than just predictable scares, such as the big wheels of Danny's tricycle echoing differently on hardwood or carpet.
- innovative camera shots, such as smooth pans following characters around corners of the hotel, magnifying the size of the place and subliminally giving an impression of the convoluted paths the minds of the characters are taking. Another neat shot is the behind-the-typewriter shot on Wendy when she comes on the typewriter.
- interesting use of mirrors as "windows to the soul," providing interesting shots and playing parts in the plot by symbolizing inner demons, and also to illuminate the creepiest part of the movie, the growing-in-intensity chant of "REDRUM".
Finally, watching the original made my memory of the Simpsons episode that much funnier. "You read my thoughts boy! You've got the Shinning!" "Oh, you mean the Shining." "Sh! Do you want to get sued?"
Afterwards, we squeezed in a viewing of "Undercover Brother" with Eddie Griffin, which was much funnier than I expected it to be. It effectively switched between racial quips, homages to martial arts flicks, and situational humor so that it didn't become too much of a one-note comedy. My favorite quote, from the end of the movie:
Undercover Brother: You know what they say, behind every great black man...
Conspiracy Brother: Is the PO-lice.
Undercover Brother: No.
Smart Brother: A bunch of slow white athletes?
Undercover Brother: No!
White She-Devil: A cute butt.
Undercover Brother: NO!
Lance: Probable cause.
Sign of aging: Playing ball on Sunday, I got there a bit late, and so didn't have time to stretch before diving into a game with a team that needed one guy. Jumping for my first blocked shot, I felt both my knees pop, and they stayed sore through Monday. Sigh.
Pulled this from youth member Rachel's blog and thought it might be amusing:
"If you read this, if your eyes are passing over this right now, even if we don't speak often, please post a comment with a memory of you and me. It can be anything you want - good or bad. When you're finished, post this little paragraph on your blog and be surprised (or mortified) about what people remember about you."
I had the chance to watch the quasi-classic Kubrick scare flick "The Shining" this past weekend at Mike P's place. Being an avid fan of The Simpsons, I'd already watched the animated parody of the movie, so I actually had some ideas of what the plot of the movie would turn out to be. Even though I don't usually go in for horror, I'd consider this movie to be more along the lines of "The Sixth Sense" in terms of portraying the supernatural influence on psyche and relying on suspense and tension rather than gore. From an artistic standpoint, there's a lot to admire about the movie:
- effective use of sound to evoke ambiance, rather than just predictable scares, such as the big wheels of Danny's tricycle echoing differently on hardwood or carpet.
- innovative camera shots, such as smooth pans following characters around corners of the hotel, magnifying the size of the place and subliminally giving an impression of the convoluted paths the minds of the characters are taking. Another neat shot is the behind-the-typewriter shot on Wendy when she comes on the typewriter.
- interesting use of mirrors as "windows to the soul," providing interesting shots and playing parts in the plot by symbolizing inner demons, and also to illuminate the creepiest part of the movie, the growing-in-intensity chant of "REDRUM".
Finally, watching the original made my memory of the Simpsons episode that much funnier. "You read my thoughts boy! You've got the Shinning!" "Oh, you mean the Shining." "Sh! Do you want to get sued?"
Afterwards, we squeezed in a viewing of "Undercover Brother" with Eddie Griffin, which was much funnier than I expected it to be. It effectively switched between racial quips, homages to martial arts flicks, and situational humor so that it didn't become too much of a one-note comedy. My favorite quote, from the end of the movie:
Undercover Brother: You know what they say, behind every great black man...
Conspiracy Brother: Is the PO-lice.
Undercover Brother: No.
Smart Brother: A bunch of slow white athletes?
Undercover Brother: No!
White She-Devil: A cute butt.
Undercover Brother: NO!
Lance: Probable cause.
Sign of aging: Playing ball on Sunday, I got there a bit late, and so didn't have time to stretch before diving into a game with a team that needed one guy. Jumping for my first blocked shot, I felt both my knees pop, and they stayed sore through Monday. Sigh.
Pulled this from youth member Rachel's blog and thought it might be amusing:
"If you read this, if your eyes are passing over this right now, even if we don't speak often, please post a comment with a memory of you and me. It can be anything you want - good or bad. When you're finished, post this little paragraph on your blog and be surprised (or mortified) about what people remember about you."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home