Thursday, December 15, 2005

Mishmash

Mishmash

It's been a rather busy week with things at work ramping up right before the typical holiday lull, and thus my writing and processing has fallen into a severe lull. So, here's some short takes, links, and quotes that I've accumulated over the last few days.

- Last Saturday, I went with a couple of friends to the Tech Museum in downtown San Jose to see their "Game On!' exhibit about the history of video games. Andy has a good writeup of it here, and George documented the experience with some photos. Basically, the exhibit had a bunch of old consoles and arcade games set up for you to play... I got to relive nostalgia with NBA Jam, Galaga, and spent a lot of time on River City Ransom, which was tons of fun.

- Sunday, I had a great time at dinner with Byron, Maria, Andy, and Joy. We ended up sitting at the table conversing for 4.5 hours. Andy recapped our topics pretty well here. It felt like a very grown-up conversation. What happened to immaturity?

- Today, my group at work had our holiday party - bowling followed by a gift exchange and dinner at the very posh Parcel 104 restaurant in Santa Clara. This was my first time bowling in at least a year, and probably two... the last time I bowled much was probably back when Eric, Jeff, and their crew were going to the lanes like every week. I started off hot but then tired quickly, but was relatively happy overall - scores of 153, 139, 122 in consecutive games. The team of four with the highest average score (my team finished 4th out of 9 teams) won iPod Shuffles! For the gift exchange ($15 and up per gift), I ended up with The Chappelle Show Season 2. Who wants to come over and check it out?

- Some thoughtful quotes from Martin Luther King:
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

"The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood."

"Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time; the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love."

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

- The Ten Golden Rules of Google - basically a PR piece running in Newsweek. Some interesting principles that Google credits with helping them succeed.

- Humanity's Greatest Inventions/Discoveries, as told by seventh-grade students. Funniest answers: "tomatoes", "iPods", and "marrying a princess." Plus, the sample sentences written in support of the claims are painfully badly structured. Is this really what a seventh grade education in America will get you?

- A while ago, ANg sent me this link with the caption, "I have a bad feeling about this." See if you can figure out what it looks like.

- I think I'll roll out a new blog template with the new year, and keep this existing webpage as an "archive" of sorts. I'll experiment a little to see if what I have in mind will work.

- If I was an NBA player, I'd apparently be:
Ben Wallace
40% Speed, 30% Selfishness, 40% Skill, 70% Athleticism
Big Ben Wallace is big. He's not fast. He's not particularly skilled (although in recent years he's unveiled a functional mid-range jumper). But he's big. And selfless. Big Ben doesn't care about his points, he cares about swatting that ball you're trying to lay up into the sixteenth row, and about banging in the middle to give his team the shots they need on the perimeter.



My test tracked 4 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:
free online datingfree online dating
You scored higher than 19% on Speed
free online datingfree online dating
You scored higher than 8% on Selfishness
free online datingfree online dating
You scored higher than 16% on Skill
free online datingfree online dating
You scored higher than 69% on Athleticism
Link: The Which NBA Player Are You Test written by dgc20e on Ok Cupid, home of the 32-Type Dating Test


I still maintain that my actual on-the-court playing prototype is Shane Battier, though.

- Vegas is ON next week. Time to warm up. Hey Alumni! Go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home