So eerily quiet...
I came into the office at 8:45 this morning. For an engineer, this is way early. Proof of this came when I pulled into the parking lot to the side of the building where the engineers usually park, and lo and behold, just about every space was empty.
It was quite odd to sit at my desk, getting some things done and munching on my breakfast cereal, and watching just about each and every one of my coworkers walk in over the next hour. I'm sure that those of you reading this who have to get in early probably feel like reaching through the computer screen and slapping me around a bit.
War
I'll start out with a quote from David Robinson, a basketball player and Christian who attended the U.S. Naval Academy, when asked about all of the war protests: "I get a little bit upset. The time for debate is really beforehand. Obviously history will speak on whether this was the right thing or the wrong thing, but right now (the soldiers) are out there. Support 'em. There's plenty of time for commentary later."
As an American, I think that's my current opinion. I do happen to have opinions about social justice on a world scale, and I believe that those with the power to free the oppressed ought to do so. I don't know whether the timing of this particular war could have been better, seeing as how the U.S. is acting without the popular support of many nations and many people within the U.S. are questioning possible ulterior motives of our country's leaders. It's a rather complex situation, with the whole Israel-Palestine history coming in, Kuwait, the economic factor of oil, insinuated ties between Iraqi leadership and terrorist groups that have struck against the U.S., and I don't pretend to know enough about everything to have a really hard and fast opinion. What I do know is that the American men and women who are over there right now, bleeding and dying, need our prayer and our support... and so do the innocent civilians who are waking up each morning wondering if they're going to live out the day. And, widening the scope of our worldview - the need for justice isn't just in Iraq, but countless other places on this planet - from the AIDS-stricken/treatment-barren lands of Africa to the deadly cycle of drugs in the inner cities of the United States.
I hope and pray that this war will end soon, with minimal casualties. I pray that Hussein and his leaders, as well as Al-Qaida and whoever else is out there wreaking havoc in the world, might be brought to earthly justice - but that they might also experience God's mercy. I pray for those who are suffering in all parts of the world, wherever they might be. I pray that God would move people to act as His vessels for His mercy to the suffering. I pray for the courage to be one of those people.
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." - Matthew 22:36-40
I came into the office at 8:45 this morning. For an engineer, this is way early. Proof of this came when I pulled into the parking lot to the side of the building where the engineers usually park, and lo and behold, just about every space was empty.
It was quite odd to sit at my desk, getting some things done and munching on my breakfast cereal, and watching just about each and every one of my coworkers walk in over the next hour. I'm sure that those of you reading this who have to get in early probably feel like reaching through the computer screen and slapping me around a bit.
War
I'll start out with a quote from David Robinson, a basketball player and Christian who attended the U.S. Naval Academy, when asked about all of the war protests: "I get a little bit upset. The time for debate is really beforehand. Obviously history will speak on whether this was the right thing or the wrong thing, but right now (the soldiers) are out there. Support 'em. There's plenty of time for commentary later."
As an American, I think that's my current opinion. I do happen to have opinions about social justice on a world scale, and I believe that those with the power to free the oppressed ought to do so. I don't know whether the timing of this particular war could have been better, seeing as how the U.S. is acting without the popular support of many nations and many people within the U.S. are questioning possible ulterior motives of our country's leaders. It's a rather complex situation, with the whole Israel-Palestine history coming in, Kuwait, the economic factor of oil, insinuated ties between Iraqi leadership and terrorist groups that have struck against the U.S., and I don't pretend to know enough about everything to have a really hard and fast opinion. What I do know is that the American men and women who are over there right now, bleeding and dying, need our prayer and our support... and so do the innocent civilians who are waking up each morning wondering if they're going to live out the day. And, widening the scope of our worldview - the need for justice isn't just in Iraq, but countless other places on this planet - from the AIDS-stricken/treatment-barren lands of Africa to the deadly cycle of drugs in the inner cities of the United States.
I hope and pray that this war will end soon, with minimal casualties. I pray that Hussein and his leaders, as well as Al-Qaida and whoever else is out there wreaking havoc in the world, might be brought to earthly justice - but that they might also experience God's mercy. I pray for those who are suffering in all parts of the world, wherever they might be. I pray that God would move people to act as His vessels for His mercy to the suffering. I pray for the courage to be one of those people.
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." - Matthew 22:36-40

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home