Friday, October 17, 2003

Memories and ramblings on another Friday afternoon

I admit, I've been rather laid back overall, and somewhat lazy with regards to my blog, this week. Perhaps the BCS glow has made me complacent, but I mentally take a few days off and poof! The end of the week is upon us. Work has been a bit more relaxed (meaning "normal workload") and I've been trying to do some daily exercise to increase my metabolism again.

If the ground shakes, and you don't feel it, is there really widespread damage?

Today marks the 14th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake, way back in 1989. I was in 6th grade then, a handball star (Charles C and I dominated doubles - he played tennis and so could hit "skimmers" forehand and backhand, I mostly played like a "volleyer" close to the line), the Giants were playing the A's in the Bay Bridge World Series, and later that year I'd break two teeth and my left arm during the Little Leauge baseball season. During the week before the earthquake, my 6th grade elementary school class was away at Science Camp in Sonoma/Sonora (I can't quite remember), doing all the usual science camp type stuff - going on nature hikes, keeping a log of "discoveries" during the week, and so on.

On the 17th, one of the boys came running over to where we were cleaning up and yelled, all in one breath, "There's been a big earthquake back home and the Bay Bridge has fallen and they've cancelled the World Series." Actually, it sounded more like, "There'sbeenabigearthquakebackhomeandtheBayBridgehasfallenandthey'vecancelledtheWorld Series." Since he wasn't one of the more "popular" guys in the class, no one really believed him, but then the teachers gathered us around the meeting area and told us the exact same thing.

Riding back home in the school bus was a little surreal, as we went through damaged neighborhoods - telephone poles knocked over, broken glass on the road, people milling outside... and this was the day after. There were several aftershocks in the days following. I knew that the big one had been serious when an aftershock caused my then-8-year old brother to start whimpering and scurrying to my mom.

Here's hoping we're better prepared for the next one.

Random

Overheard today at lunchtime, when a few coworkers saw a V of flying geese on a gorgeous, 70+ degree California October day: "Well, wintertime's approaching, we're supposed to fly to warmer climates for the winter. Why don't we just fly around in a few circles and call it a day."

Who's playing in the World Series? Does anyone care anymore?

Caught the last few minutes of the Cavs-Lakers preseason game, where Kobe and Shaq didn't play but Payton and Malone did. The Lakers will be very good. This annoys me greatly.

Watched a History Channel "Modern Marvels" show on the history of the bullet, and saw this gun in action. Unbelievable. 1 million bullets per minute. They showed a demonstration... the target just disintegrated. "Metal Storm" indeed.

Thought of the day: It was 10-11 years between God's anointing of David to be king over Israel, before he actually ascended to the throne. It was 10-11 years between Saul/Paul's conversion experience, and him beginning his ministry to the Gentiles. It was 30 years before Jesus began his formal ministry. The moral? No matter how impatient we are, if we seek after God's purpose, He will prepare us in His timing, which may be a bit longer than we anticipate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home