Mid-week meanderings
Ironic, isn't it, that it's when things are more hectic, stressful, and conducive to low morale that there is more of an inclination to personal and spiritual growth. Even though the past month has been a bit less busy at work and outside, I have noticed myself falling into something of a rut - as a friend put it, when things aren't difficult, you're less inclined to look in a heavenly direction. I've been watching too much TV, staying up late reading novels that I've already read before, playing too much Playstation 2 basketball, adopting a more cavalier attitude towards my personal times in prayer and in the Bible... overall just been somewhat blah. Then, I see the calendar about to tick over into April... a quarter of the year 2004 has already gone by. What happened to my initial desire and fervor for seeing change and growth in my life, seeking hard after God and His will and work?
Instead of lamenting wasted time and opportunities, I need to get off my butt and into the right mindset. I need to pray. I need to seek God in Scripture, through the church, and in my circumstances, and so to be actively looking to see where and how He is working. Only then can I see where and how I might fit into that plan. God, forgive me for not making the most of my time. I want to redeem the coming days and months, that Your name might be glorified in my life as long as I'm here.
If grad school is in my future, then I need to take the appropriate tests this summer in order to apply in the fall. Short-term missions, travelling, volunteering, more concentrated involvement in worship and youth ministries at church... we'll see what comes.
This past weekend, didn't have the chance to catch a ride on Enoch's motorcycle like Karen and a whole host of other people did, primarily because I was trying to get some songs typed up for Sunday, but also I figured that after giving 8 rides the poor guy would want a break. I'll give it a shot next time. Sunday afternoon, played a game of 3-on-4 up to 50 by ones. That was loads of fun. Being on the team with 4, Dr. James and I had to double-team Vincent, but he still scored around 30 baskets... and we're not bad defensive players either. Maybe that's what it was like to guard Wilt back in the day. I didn't do too badly, probably had twenty-something of my team's baskets. What was fun was that the marathon game made it seem more like a pro game - you could rip off 7-0 or 12-4 runs to go ahead or get yourself back in the game at any time. We ended up taking it 50-46.
Current CD: Going somewhat old-school with Steven Curtis Chapman's Speechless album from 1999. Love the acoustic guitar work.
Current Books: simultaneously going through Operation World, the Experiencing God workbook, and Don't Waste Your Life by Piper (which I never finished).
Ironic, isn't it, that it's when things are more hectic, stressful, and conducive to low morale that there is more of an inclination to personal and spiritual growth. Even though the past month has been a bit less busy at work and outside, I have noticed myself falling into something of a rut - as a friend put it, when things aren't difficult, you're less inclined to look in a heavenly direction. I've been watching too much TV, staying up late reading novels that I've already read before, playing too much Playstation 2 basketball, adopting a more cavalier attitude towards my personal times in prayer and in the Bible... overall just been somewhat blah. Then, I see the calendar about to tick over into April... a quarter of the year 2004 has already gone by. What happened to my initial desire and fervor for seeing change and growth in my life, seeking hard after God and His will and work?
Instead of lamenting wasted time and opportunities, I need to get off my butt and into the right mindset. I need to pray. I need to seek God in Scripture, through the church, and in my circumstances, and so to be actively looking to see where and how He is working. Only then can I see where and how I might fit into that plan. God, forgive me for not making the most of my time. I want to redeem the coming days and months, that Your name might be glorified in my life as long as I'm here.
If grad school is in my future, then I need to take the appropriate tests this summer in order to apply in the fall. Short-term missions, travelling, volunteering, more concentrated involvement in worship and youth ministries at church... we'll see what comes.
This past weekend, didn't have the chance to catch a ride on Enoch's motorcycle like Karen and a whole host of other people did, primarily because I was trying to get some songs typed up for Sunday, but also I figured that after giving 8 rides the poor guy would want a break. I'll give it a shot next time. Sunday afternoon, played a game of 3-on-4 up to 50 by ones. That was loads of fun. Being on the team with 4, Dr. James and I had to double-team Vincent, but he still scored around 30 baskets... and we're not bad defensive players either. Maybe that's what it was like to guard Wilt back in the day. I didn't do too badly, probably had twenty-something of my team's baskets. What was fun was that the marathon game made it seem more like a pro game - you could rip off 7-0 or 12-4 runs to go ahead or get yourself back in the game at any time. We ended up taking it 50-46.
Current CD: Going somewhat old-school with Steven Curtis Chapman's Speechless album from 1999. Love the acoustic guitar work.
Current Books: simultaneously going through Operation World, the Experiencing God workbook, and Don't Waste Your Life by Piper (which I never finished).

<< Home