Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Quick update

Been a while since I blogged, so here's a quick update...

Back to the box
Back driving the Volvo again now that my dad's back from Taiwan. Some quick impressions:
- The most fun part of driving the G35 was the great balance that the car had. You could take turns at speeds that would have lesser cars rolling all over the place. I never did take the chance to drive the Infiniti to Highway 1 or 9 or some other curvy road while I was driving it... maybe next time.

- Surprisingly, the Volvo is far better at coasting than the G35 is. I don't know which one is heavier, but when I let up on the accelerator in the Volvo, the car typically maintains its speed for a longer distance than the G35 does.

- I'm gonna miss the 6-CD changer in the G35. I'm now back to my Discman adapter.

- I do enjoy the fact that I now have a much bigger trunk to put bulky stuff, like my guitar.

Sports update
- I'm completely screwed in the NCAA tourney... don't have any of the Final Four. Ah well... I never claimed to be a college hoops guru.

- Amazingly, I didn't realize until tonight, getting back from work, that today was Opening Day for Major League Baseball. My Giants are looking good this year, with a retooled offense. It remains to be seen whether their pitching will be enough to match up to the D-Backs' Dynamic Duo and the Dodgers' pitching staff.

- The Spurs are fighting for the top seed in the Western Conference, and the Warriors are clinging onto a slim hope for the 8th seed in the playoffs. Both probably won't happen, but it's always a nice feeling when your teams have better seasons than they were expected to. Hard to believe that the NBA regular season is over in less than 2 weeks.

- Clinging to 1st place in one of my fantasy basketball leagues, which takes some of the sting out of my fall from second to seventh place in my other league, falling out of the end-of-the-season playoffs. My worst decision of the season: trading Andrei Kirilenko for Jamaal Tinsley before the season began. What a fool...

War
- Been reading News from Reuters more than CNN.com since I've noticed that almost everything from CNN has a pro-American slant to it.

- It's heartbreaking to read stories of civilians who are being hurt or killed, or losing loved ones to misplaced missiles and bombs. There was another picture from Yahoo News showing a group of Iraqi boys playing soccer in front of a smoking building that had been leveled by a missile. That kind of underscored the surreality of the war for people who wake up to that every day - they still need to go about their lives.

Miscellaneous
- Had a Concert of Prayer last Friday night with the English congregation at my church, where we spent time praying for members within the church community, our local neighborhood, our missionaries, our country, and foreign affairs including the war. Great time of prayer and worship.

- Hiked Mission Peak in Fremont with a couple folks from church last Saturday. Memorable moments: helping Karen take care of the foot blister, committing the faux pas of calling a passing dog "fat" not realizing that the owner was within earshot, fighting off bugs at the top, Chocolate Raspberry Trail Mix, the paraglider. First decent hike in a long while.

- Current injury: strained my forearms last week while working out in the weight room at work... this has translated into some pain in my wrists that feels frighteningly close to the infamous carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm pretty confident that I don't have it since I'm pretty careful with ergonomics and such, but all the same, I'm trying to take every precaution - massaging, keeping the forearm muscles warm and loose, double-checking ergnomics at home and at work, and taking a break from lifting and playing hoops. Hoping that this heals soon.

- Current CD: "The Way I Am", Jennifer Knapp. Still trying to figure out the meaning of this lyric that she sings: Have mercy on me, I'm a girl / Though I'm cruel and you cry I won't shiver / 'Cause I know how to break a man in two. Any opinions?

- Current book: Confessions, Leo Tolstoy. I'm only on chapter 3, but so far it's been a remarkably vulnerable journal of the ways that the famous author's values changed over the course of his life until he eventually found true meaning and purpose in Jesus Christ. I'll post some more thoughts on it when I'm through. For that matter, I haven't actually gotten around to posting thoughts on Tozer's Pursuit of God, or even some other thoughts that I've been meaning to write down. Maybe one day I'll write my own Confessions via the blog medium.

- Pastor Dan shared yesterday again about the topic of worship, and how worship is not in the things that we do, but in the attitude with which we live. This has been one of the most important spiritual lessons I've learned over the past two years - understanding that one aspect of the freedom that Christ promises to his followers is freedom from the legalistic mindset that is par for the world - that our value is found in the things that we do, instead of being found in who we are. As a believer in Christ, I am no longer bound by the world's law that "He who has the most toys, wins." I'm not even bound by the common church conception that "The more time you spend doing things at church, the more spiritual you are." The line between the spiritual and the mundane is blurred, because within every aspect of life - work, play, tasks, relationships, even ministry - there is no inherent "spiritual" or "secular." Rather, it is the believer's privilege to consciously choose to live his life - all aspects of his life - in the presence of and for the glory of a Holy God. 1 Cor 10:31 - "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

P Dan then went on to share about how God takes pleasure in seeing us enjoy His gifts to us within their proper contexts. In particular, He has purposefully created each person with particular talents that He wishes us to use to their fullest - whether that be music, sports, computers, whatever. This kind of ties in to all that personal follow-up I've been meaning to do ever since WCC. Man, I've been slacking this year. No wonder it feels like it's going by so fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home